Chapter The Tenth

Fast forward a minute or two from the previous chapter.

Warning: Mild swearing in Tails' mind.

Edit: She's twelve, no swearing.

Tails watched in horror as the robot's huge foot descended upon Sonic and his parents.

No.

Not him.

Tails clenched her fists, took a deep breath, and forced her tails to spin, nearly screaming in the agony she felt, backing up a few feet.

I won't let that psycho kill him.

Not today Eggman.

Not ever.

Not as long as I have breath in my body.

Tails zoomed forward at her top speed, ignoring the circle of fire.

Her velocity was enough to swat Sonic and his parents out of harm's way.

But not enough to save her.

She slammed into them, knocking them to safety, but as she tried to rise, her body collapsed.

It's alright though.

She thought as she watched the giant foot that was to snuff out her life descend in slow motion.

I saved him.

She smiled, a lone tear escaping her eye.

Without him, I'm nobody.

I'm just some weird geeky mutant, shunned by the world.

He took me in, he was my only friend.

I saved him and that makes my life worth something.

She closed her eyes.

I am satisfied.

Then the world turned upside down and her eyesight turned to gold.

Gentle hands picked her up and the golden glow only grew brighter, sinking into her heart and lifting her spirits.

It might sound strange, but she could feel the glow rejuvenating her and healing her wounds.

She knew who it was, without him needing to speak a single word.

Best to be sure anyway though, to make sure it's not Knuckles or something.

With that thought in mind, Tails chuckled and opened her eyes.

Gazing back at her concernedly were the now-red eyes of a shiny golden hedgehog who was simultaneously holding up the foot of the giant robot.

The gold is new.

"I thought I pushed you away."

Tails said weakly, almost accusatory.

The insufferable creature twisted his face into a familiar cocky smirk.

"What, you thought you could get rid of me that easily?"

Tails scoffed and rolled her eyes, then tapped him on the chest.

"Go on, you have a robot to destroy and a villain to beat."

Sonic gently set her down so she was leaning against the truck and pouted cutely at her.

It was quite the expression to pull off, seeing as he was simultaneously stopping the EggBot from squashing them, but pull it off he did.

"You aren't gonna wish me good luck?"

She tapped her chin thoughtfully, then beckoned for him to lean down so she could whisper in his ear.

Instead, however, she pressed a quick kiss to his cheek.

Sonic's face changed almost instantly, from cocky and confident to flabbergasted and baffled in a split second.

"Now shoo, before my face turns red."

Tails said, unable to hold back a giggle at the sight of his face.

He tried to smirk to regain his former attitude.

"Too late."

With that, the all-powerful holder of the Master Emerald shot straight up (through the robot's foot, are we gonna mention that? No? Ah well) before the fox saw his glowing red blush.

Like he said, too late.

As soon as he left, Tails sighed and tilted her head back to look at the sky as she mentally reprimanded herself.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

He doesn't need distractions right now.

Aaand one chapter closer to the end!

We're so close!

As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

It was at least half OG btw, and I think it turned out much better than the last one!

It may be the extra inspiration, but eh.

Inspiration from the vid <3

-GV