Chapter The Fifth

"This is it."

After a while of flying and following the map, Sonic and Tails reached a large mountain peak that looked like it had stood for centuries.

The map led them to a dark and creepy cave with an owl door.

"A giant owl door looks promising."

Sonic remarked.

Tails shivered, involuntarily frightened by the darkness.

Sonic noticed her hesitance, and after a moment of thought, intertwined his fingers with hers.

She jumped a little at the contact, but once she realized who it was, she relaxed.

Sonic squeezed her hand reassuringly and stepped forward.

The door opened up into a cavernous chamber with a monumental owl statue in the middle.

Set into the statue were four spinning lock-things.

One of the symbols matched one on the map.

Tails looked at the map, then looked at the statue, then frowned in thought.

"I have an idea."

She said, then stepped forward and spun the four locks until they matched the map.

Suddenly, the symbols lit up with a green glow and the room started to shake as the owl statue spread its wings.

"That did something!"

Sonic half-yelled, coming to Tails' side protectively.

A compartment in the statue opened, and a small glowing contraption floated out towards Sonic.

Tails grabbed it, then examined it carefully.

"It looks like some sort of compass, probably leading to the Master Emerald!"

She turned to Sonic with a huge grin on her face.

"We did it!"

Sonic grinned and high-fived her, then glanced worriedly at her forehead.

"Hey, uh, you got something there."

A red dot, much like a sniper's, was trained on the dead center of Tails' forehead.

Her eyes widened as she saw what was making the red dot.

It was one of Eggman's toys, an egg-shaped robot loaded with guns.

And one was trained right at her.

A split second before the gun went off, Sonic pushed her out of the way.

The explosion caused the owl statue to tip over and the chamber to become open-air.

"You okay Tails?"

"Been better."

The robot seemed irritated that it missed and let a beep, summoning thousands of identical robots to swarm into the chamber and reveal their weaponry.

Worst of all, a spherical ship hovered through the door, carrying the two people Sonic never wanted to see again.

Eggman laughed maniacally and slapped the sides of his ship while Knuckles growled at the sight of Sonic.

"Thanks for doing the hard work for us."

Eggman said patronizingly, giving an insincere and toothy smile.

All the robots simultaneously targeted Sonic and Tails, red dots swarming all over the frightened duo.

"Sonic...?"