Chapter 22: Soulmates Aren't Always...

Across The Universe
~ The Beatles

"Sounds of laughter shades of life are ringing
Through my open ears inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva, om
Nothing's gonna change my world"

Jai guru deva, omNothing's gonna change my world"

CHAPTER 22: SOULMATES AREN'T ALWAYS...

        Nadine sat to the left of her Five and the right of older Five at a table Luther picked out. A heavy and dangerous silence filled the table as the Fives stared each other down.

        Well, that and the occasional snort from Nadine whenever she looked up and caught a glimpse of the hat on top of older Five's head.

        "I like your fedora." She commented, taking a sip of her second glass of water. Older Five's eyes drifted to look at the girl, who sat with one of her legs propped up on the chair, her knee against her chest.

        Her Five, the younger looking one, barred his teeth slightly and took ahold of her chair. She jumped as he pulled her seat a few inches closer to him, not taking his eyes off of other Five. Nadine rolled her eyes at his antics but settled back into the chair, not wanting to draw anymore eyes.

        Finally, Luther sighed. "Well... this is nice, isn't it? The three of us, together like this. Oh, and Nadine." The girl narrowed her eyes at him and pinched her fingers together. Luther jumped with a loud "ow" and rubbed the spot on his shoulder that Nadine sent a small electric current to. She smirked as he glared at her before calming himself down and smiling at his brother(s?)

        "No." Both of them spoke at the same time with gruff voices. Nadine's eyes widened, meeting the fearful gaze of Luther.

        "Creepy." The girl mouthed to him. He nodded in agreement.

        "Somebody explain to me how it is I'm having a pint of Guinness with my younger self." Older Five demanded roughly.

        "Older, actually. I'm you, just 14 days older." Teen Five responded, tilting his head to the side with squinted eyes. Nadine felt herself flush at the small movement and she cleared her throat.

        "I have pubic hair smarter than you. How's that possible?" Older Five questioned. Luther and Nadine ping-ponged their eyes between the two, not having any room to speak.

        "I can explain. You see, one hour from now, on the grassy knoll, before the president is killed, you break your contract with the Commission." Nadine sipped her water out of the straw as her Five continued to speak. "I already know you're thinking about it. All those years in the apocalypse, we never stopped worrying about our family. Well, today, you are going to do something about it. Today, you are going to attempt to time travel forward to 2019. However, you are going to screw up the jump and end up in this twip of a body, trapped forever, small, pubescent."