Chapter 3: Dont Send A Mob Or Anything

The Very Thought of You
~ Nat King Cole

"The very thought of you and I forget to do
The little ordinary things that everyone ought to do
I'm living in a kind of daydream
I'm happy as a king
And foolish though it may seem
To me that's everything

The mere idea of you, the longing here for you
You'll never know how slow the moments go till I'm near to you
I see your face in every flower
Your eyes in stars above
It's just the thought of you
The very thought of you, my love"

The mere idea of you, the longing here for youYou'll never know how slow the moments go till I'm near to youI see your face in every flowerYour eyes in stars aboveIt's just the thought of youThe very thought of you, my love"

CHAPTER 3: DON'T SEND A MOB OR ANYTHING

        July, 1963
        "Do you guys want to hang out after we get off?" Nadine asked while wiping tables off. Eli smiled and nodded enthusiastically. "I'm in." She nodded at him with a smile before turning to Margie. "Of course, just gotta get changed first."

        Nadine rolled her eyes playfully "Obviously." She pointed towards the uniform they adorned, chuckling. "Paula, what about you?" Eli asked, turning away from his sweeping and leaning against the broom. "Hmm I don't know..." The girl responded playfully.

        The boy rolled his eyes and pouted. "C'mon, it'll be a ball!" Paula squinted for a second before nodding. "I guess." Eli cheered before turning to Nadine as she finished up. "What'd you have in mind?"

        The girl smiled. "I want to go to the lake again. I have something important to tell you guys." Eli formed an o with his mouth, letting out a long "ooh." Paula chuckled and smacked his shoulder, shaking her head. She nodded at Nadine, giving her a warm smile. "Whatever you need, sugar."

        Eli turned to Margie with a raised eyebrow. "Are you gonna help at all?" He questioned the girl who sat on a stool at the counter. She pursed her lips and shook her head. "I'm off the clock, babes."

        He rolled his eyes and threw a rag at her, hitting her in the face. Paula and Nadine laughed as she scoffed, throwing it back at him. "Piss off, Moore."

~~~~~

        Nadine and Eli had gone back to the house to change. She put on her bikini, green with white polka dots, and threw on her brown zip up over it. She looked around for her other clothes and spotted some in the corner.

        Out of instinct, she put her hand out towards the fabric. A pair of high waisted shorts she had picked up in town flew into her hand. She slid them on and buttoned them up before moving to open the door. The hair on the back of her neck stood up, making her look around quickly.

        Her window. She ran towards it and looked out, seeing nothing but trees and bushes as she opened the blinds. The Moore house was on a giant field. Neighbors lived miles away and there was barely any foot traffic. But, even then, she swore she saw movement in the corner of the window.