[Read first] Notes about gender, historical notes, and other

So when I first started writing this, I made the reader female. However, I've decided to go back and try to make the story somewhat gender neutral. I'll be switching the pronouns to they/them and I'll be changing any references to the reader as being a sister/daughter into sibling/child. The only thing is that the reader does wear a dress consistently through the story.

Another thing i want to emphasise is that this book is far from historically accurate. A lot of the events in this book never happened, and im quite literally changing the course of history for the plot. Also, I want to comment on Susan's age. She is 17 when the book starts. The problem with this is that Maria would have been 13 when she gave birth to her, which is not good. The real Susan Reynolds was around 6-9 years old when this story takes place, but I changed that for plot reasons. Y/N and Joan are adopted, though. The only solution is to age Susan down, but i dont want to do that. I specifically wanted Susan to be the oldest and y/n to be the middle child, as well as the same age as Philip.

The age of consent for sex and marriage was 12 back then, but it doesn't feel right for Maria to have Susan at 13, even if she did get married to James at 15. The only thing I can really do without fucking up the plot is to just deal with the fact that she was 13. If I come up with a better way to get around this, I will update this page.

It is unknown how old James was when he was married to Maria, so for the sake of the plot, he will be 21.

For my reference, this is roughly how old each character is in the first chapter.

Susan - 17
Y/N - 16
Joan - 14
Maria - 23
James - 29
Philip - 16
Alexander - 40
Eliza - 40
Angelica H. - 14
Alex Jr. - 11
James H. - 9
John H. - 5
William H. - 20 days
Eliza Holly - b. 1799 (between ch. 13-14)

My final note is that I will eventually be making an extras book for the drawings and whatnot I've made for this book. This page will be getting updated as more stuff goes along.

-EchoTheMuffin