4: I Love My Sisters More Than Anything in This Life

Tears streamed down their face when they reached the front door. The oil candlelight was still on, just dim, which means someone still had to be awake. Y/N prayed it wasn't James. They opened the door, stepping in and taking their flat shoes off when they entered.

"Y/N!" a voice called, footsteps coming in their general direction. They looked up, seeing Susan walking towards them, a concerned look on her face. "Where have you been?! It's almost midnight and I've- are you okay..?"

Susan noticed the tears streaming down her sibling's face when she got closer. Y/N mumbled something incoherent, the tears pouring from their eyes. Some of the tears made their way into their mouth, but they didn't pay attention to it. Susan pulled her into a hug. She didn't say anything.

Their sister guided them to the couch that was falling apart, slowly setting them down. Crying people are delicate. Susan got up to grab tissues from the table on the other side of the room. After about 2 minutes, the tears slowed down, allowing them to talk better. Just as Y/N opened their mouth to speak, the youngest Reynolds appeared out of nowhere.

"Whats going on?" Joan asked tiredly, rubbing her eyes and holding the old stuffed rabbit she's had since she was a baby. Susan shot her a glare that said not right now.

"That damned Hamilton boy showed up. I was having a good day until he had ruin it." Y/N gritted their teeth. Just thinking about Philip Hamilton made their blood boil. "He's such a hypocrite."

Susan pulled her close and Joan walked over to sit next to them. "What did he say to you, exactly?" the older sister asked.

"Well, before he knew it was me, I'm pretty sure he was trying to ask me out. After I told him, he started freaking out and accusing mother of being the one to ruin their lives even though it was Hamilton himself. Then he started saying dumb shit like 'you shouldn't assume what other's personal lives are like,' even though that's what he's been doing to us the whole time."

Joan, who had been quiet, spoke up, "Forget about that dry pickle. The three of us will always be here for each other, promise?"

The other two nodded. They smiled, pulling each other into a group hug. Susan snickered.

"Dry pickle?" she asked, looking to Joan with an eyebrow raised.

"It was either dry pickle or wet tissue!" This caused all three to go into a small laughing fit, though they were interrupted by someone else joining the conversation.

"What are you three doing awake this late? You should be asleep," Maria asked, walking into the family room.

The grins fell. "Shouldn't we be asking the same for you?" Y/N shot back.

Maria sighed. "I was going to sleep down here. I just want to stay as far away from that demon I made the mistake of marrying."

"Take my bed," Susan offered. Their mother seemed taken aback.

"No, I won't have my daughter sleeping on the couch. You keep your room to yourself."

"I insist."

"No-"

"Mom, listen to Susan. Nobody has to sleep on the couch," Joan said. "Y/N can bunk with me and Susan can have their bed. It's not like we haven't had to share a bed before." [Note: THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY SLEPT TOGETHER AS IN THEY HAD SEX. THE REYNOLDS ARE RELATIVELY POOR AND FOR A WHILE COULD NOT AFFORD TO GIVE Y/N AND JOAN THEIR OWN BEDS. INCEST IS WRONG AND DISGUSTING.]

"Hey, I never- y'know what, nevermind." Y/N decided not to argue. This was for Maria.

She shook her head. "I'm not winning this, am I?" The three shook their heads. "Okay, I'll take your bed. But the three of you need to get to bed."

————•————

Philip watched as Y/N faded from view. Anger was still settled in his stomach, mad that he ran in to them of all people. A voice from behind him startled him.

"Who was that?" a feminine voice said, approaching from behind.

Philip turned around to see his girlfriend, Winnie Brown. He smiled. "Just the kid of that woman my father had an affair with. No one special. Why are you here? Hell, how did you even get here?"

"My mother can't keep her eyes on me all the time. I was walking in the neighborhood because mother was yelling at father for coming home drunk again, and I happened to see you. So, I followed you." Winnie gave a smile, something behind her eyes that Philip couldn't tell. She pecked his lips.

"Sorry to hear. I heard that your mother's pregnant again?"

Winnie sighed. "Unfortunately. I enjoy being an only child, I hope she has a miscarriage."

Philip pulled back from her. "Why would you say that? You might like being an only child but what kind of person wishes that? My mom had a miscarriage a while ago and she was heartbroken."

She winced. "Sorry."

He sighed at her response. He really liked her, he did, but she could be very pathetic. "Look, I didn't want a sister, and now there's 5 of us. We don't always get what we wish for."

"I just-"

"No, be quiet. Let it be. I'm walking you home."

The roads were quiet. The wind blew warm air every now and then, rustling the grass, but that was it. Winnie linked arms with Philip, claiming she felt safer that way. The walk to her house seemed dreadfully long, but it was only a good 20 minutes. The lights were off but the door hadn't been locked.

"Bye, Philip. I'll see you later!" She smiled, kissing his cheek and walking inside.

After the door shut Philip walked away. "Yeah, I'll see you later.." he muttered unenthusiastically.

~~~~~End

[Laughs in Florida] I'm about to make Winnie everybody's problem.

-EchoTheMuffin