5: A Mother's Embrace

Today is the day. [Your birthday], 1798. The day Y/N turns 17. To say they were looking forward to this day would be a huge overstatement. In fact, they'd been dreading it more than anything else.

James decided that he needed to make more money, so he would send Y/N out to have sex with a married man after their next birthday, just like Maria. Why he decided to make them go and not Susan, nobody could figure out. Unfortunately, there's no possible way to get him to change his mind. Susan even offered to go instead, but James had made his decision.

So, Y/N had been laying in bed all day. They were trying to avoid everything as much as possible. There was a soft knock on the door.

"Hey, Y/N," Maria said, coming in to the room. They didn't respond. Their mother sighed. "Look, I know you're anxious, I would be too, so I want to help you in any way I can. You and I both know that we're not going to get James to go back on his decision, so that's out of the question."

Y/N was confused. How was Maria supposed help? Sure, she'd already been through this a couple times, but what advice was she supposed to give?

"How did you even get Hamilton to sleep with you?" they asked, though she didn't mean to. They thought about the words, but hadn't meant to say them out loud.

"Well.. I told him that James had up and left me with you three and took all of our money. I asked him for some money to keep us stable for a bit, and, well.. you know what happened from there."

Y/N stayed silent for a moment. Was that what they were supposed to say when they went to the unsuspecting man's house? "Do you know who I'm supposed to target?"

"Nicholas Falmouth. He lives by that park you and the girls like to go to, so not very close, but still within walking distance."

[Read this paragraph if your birthday falls on a colder day.]
Maria looked out the window as if she was thinking, or perhaps looking for something below. She walked towards it. There was some frost on the window from the night before. Snow had fallen and the ground was covered in ice.

[Read this paragraph if your birthday falls on a warmer day.]
Maria looked out the window as if she was thinking, or perhaps looking for something below. She walked towards it. The window had steamed up due to the heat, making it foggy. The room itself was quite humid.

The woman with curly brown locks brought her finger to the window. She made about five squares and then a larger square. She made an arrow pointing to the third square from the park.

"This is the Falmouth's house relative to the park. If I remember correctly, the house number is 824." Maria walked back over to where Y/N sat on their bed and sat down next to them. She put her arm around her child's shoulders.

"Is there anything else you need to know?" Y/N shook their head. "Well, let's head downstairs. Your father isn't home, so I'll make you whatever you want. If we have the ingredients, that is."

Maria gave them one last smile before standing up and walking out the door. Y/N sat still for a moment before eventually getting up to change out of their sleepwear.

A million thoughts raced through their head. They asked herself questions like, what happens if he rejects my advances, and what if he doesn't pay any money.

Their brain seemed to have been on autopilot while they tried to answer the questions that the little voice in the back of their head wouldn't stop asking. Before they knew it, they were downstairs sitting at the table. They could barely hear the voice of their sister in their ear.

"Hellooo, Y/N??" Joan called. "I think they're asleep with their eyes open?? Susan help!"

Someone pinched their cheek. They yelped, smacking the hand away. Turning their head, they saw Susan standing next to them, arms crossed. Her wavy brown hair was disheveled. She must've been taking advantage of James not being home.