14: Sailing Off to London

Y/N exited the courthouse with a sigh of relief. There was a smile on their face, and there was a warm feeling in their stomach. They watched with their sisters and mother as James Reynolds walked down the stairs, muttering something. He was looking down with his hat pulled over his face.

"Thank you," Maria spoke, turning Aaron Burr, the lawyer working the divorce case. "I hope we didn't cause you too much trouble, Mr. Burr."

"Don't worry about it. All that matters is that you're free from that man, and you can do as you please." He smiled. His teeth were terrifyingly white, quite the contrast to his dark skin.

The conversation didn't last much longer, and the four began towards their carriage. They had to go back to the tavern they were staying in to get their things before heading off to London. Maria wanted to get a fresh start, so she was going to move to London, whether her children came or not.

Y/N and Susan both wanted to stay in America, but they simply didn't have the money to support themselves. So they didn't have much of a choice, and had to go with their mother to London.

After leaving the tavern and saying farewell to the bartender they became acquainted with, there was one thing left that Y/N wanted to do. They wanted to say goodbye to Angie and Philip. In the past months, they've been writing letters back and forth, and occasionally meeting up with each other. Angie continually teased Y/N and Philip about how they act like an old married couple, but they put up with it.

So now, here they were, standing in front of the Hamiltons' house in Harlem. They knocked on the door, anxious to see their two friends. Alex Jr. was the one to open the door.

"Hey, is Philip or Angie home?" they asked. He nodded, scurrying off down the hall. He was always really shy, even around his own family, Philip had said.

A few seconds later, Philip came to the door. "Sorry. Angie is washing up right now. What's up?"

Y/N smiled, just at seeing him. "Mom just got divorced."

Philip grinned, too. "That's great! But surely you didn't come out all this way just to tell me that."

"I just.. I wanted to break the news to you in person," Y/N started, not sure how to end it. "We're moving to London. I want to stay, but I don't have any money or a place to stay so-"

"Stay with us," he cut them off, speaking quickly.

They were taken aback. "..what?"

"I said stay with us. You can have our guest room, until you get money for a house of your own."

They thought about it for a moment. The offer sounded enticing, staying with them, but there were too many people. It would get awfully cramped, plus, the Hamilton's have money, but not a lot of money.

"As nice as that sounds, I don't think I should. After all, I'm a Reynolds, and your father will always hold some resentment for me. I think it'd be best if I went to London with my family. I promise I'll write to you."

For a moment, Y/N swore that they could see his eyes become glassy, but it was gone once thy blinked. Philip pulled them into a hug.

"I'll miss you," he said, with so much sincerity, more than they had ever heard from him before. His voice sounded tight, making them think the hug was just to hide his face. Nonetheless, they hugged back. He squeezed them tighter, almost to the point they couldn't breathe.

"Tell Angie I'll miss her, too."

Y/N pulled away, and smiled, looking at the man who had turned from their enemy to their second best friend. (Susan was the first, of course.)

He looked like he was about to say something, but Maria called from the carriage telling them to hurry up before they miss the boat.

The two said their final goodbyes, before Y/N hopped into the carriage, and rode away.

————•————

'I didn't get to tell her,' Philip thought, watching with regret as the person he had somehow fallen for left. They were going to be an ocean away, and likely wouldn't see each other in person for months, possible years. This wasn't something he could just say over a letter, no, he wanted to tell them in person.

He shut the door, turning around back into the house. "Did I miss them?" Angie spoke, coming down the hall.

"Yeah. They just left. Y/N told me to tell you they were going to miss you."

She gave a confused look. "Where are they going?"

"London."

Angie did have a smile, but it was gone. Now she looked sad. Her curly air was wet, loosening the curls even further, making her look even more depressed. "Oh," was all she said. "Well, I'm sure they'll come an visit."

"They said they would write to us. They wanted to stay, but their mother wanted to start anew in England, and they had no choice but to go with her."

Angie walked up to her older brother, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You didn't get to tell them, did you?"

He shook his head, a pit forming in his stomach. His throat was still tight, and he felt like he was going to cry. He knew they'd be back someday, but they would be apart for so long.

Angie hugged him, but he didn't really feel it. He knew what she was doing, he knew that it was to comfort him, but he felt numb. The fabric on her sleeves wrapped around him wasn't noticeable enough. A tear made its way down his cheek. The whole world seemed to fall apart.

"They'll be back. Everything is going to be fine."

"But what if it isn't?" he asked. "What if they meet someone else in London, someone better than me? They always hated my guts. It's pointless being in love with someone who could never love you back."

"That's not true. I've been around you two long enough to know that you're both in love with each other. Y/N loves you, I see it in the way they look at you and how they talk about you when you're not around. And besides, there can only be one Philip Hamilton, only one you."

Angie had made him look at her, but he could barely see her through the blurriness of the tears he silently cried.

"Thank you." Philip finally returned his sister's hug. "I love you more than anything, and I don't know what I'd do without you as my sister."

~~~~~End

IM BACK BITCHES! I had fun writing this chapter lol

-EchoTheMuffin