Chapter Eighteen - Stay

I walked over to my window where I saw Hunter sitting on a large branch of the tree. He had on his hair dying shirt and a flannel I gave him. I sighed to myself as he waved through the window with a small smile. I decided to open the window for him to come into the room.

"Thanks," he said as he climbed through the window.

"What are you doing? Did Kevin bring you?" I asked.

"No, I got here before any cars were home, so I parked a block away and walked. Kind of just waited in the tree, thought this might be romantic and cute," he admitted. Honestly, it was, he was always so cute, and I wondered how long he had been here to begin with. "Didn't know how long I'd be in there though."

"Why?" I asked, crossing my arms and leaning on my wall.

"I want to start with a major apology, I am so sorry, I never wanted to ruin this. I.. I was just surprised, and froze. I shouldn't have though, and these days away from you have been awful. I, don't like being away from you, especially knowing I may never get to be with you again." His voice sounded sincere and sad. I felt myself tear up thinking about how much I missed him and worried too. "I never should have went quiet, I should have told Skip we were dating. I just, got scared. I am really really sorry, and it won't happen again. If you'll have me back. Please. I miss you so much and I.. I love you."

Love? Did he really say love? My heart pounded as my face began to turn red. I watched as his did the same for a moment. I wanted to say something back, anything, but I felt frozen now.

"I know what I said,'' he continued, "and I mean it. I really do, I love you Max. Even if you dont love me back, I want it known." I grabbed his arms and pulled him into a kiss for a moment. It didn't last long before I pulled away.

"I love you too," I whispered before pressing my head on his shoulder and feeling tears form. "I missed you, and I'm so sorry," I said before starting to cry. I felt his hands go to my shoulders as he pushed me up straight to look at my face.

"You're sorry?" he questioned.

"I was so.. Mad... And mean"

"You had every right to be mad, I fucked up, royally." he said with a soft smile as he wiped my eyes.

"But I still shouldn't have dwelled on it," I told him softly.

"It's okay, really. Kevin uh, told me you started your meds again. That's good."

"Yeah.. I really wish I had it sooner," I sighed. "Maybe I would have been nicer if I had it before."

"Well it can't be changed, but we can move past it." he suggested. I nodded my head and wrapped my arms around him, hugging tightly. His arms wrapped around me too and we stood like this for a moment. "Can I stay the night again? Or are we fully starting over?" he asked after a moment of silently hugging.

"You can stay, nothing will change. But you have to be ready to always stick up for me, like you used to."

"I will, I was just shocked. I mean, I didn't think he would just call us out."

"I noticed you start to shake your head and deny it." I pointed out blankly.

"I.. I'm sorry, I have no excuse."

"Mostly forgiven," I told him with a slight smile. "But.. Are you ashamed? Or embarrassed?" I asked.

"No!" he stated, putting his hands on my cheeks and looking me in my eyes. "I never would be, I just didn't want him to be right. Skip gets cokier when he is right, I'm truly sorry," he told me before kissing my forehead.

"Okay," I said before sighing. "I think we can pick up where we left off," I added before smiling at him. I put on some music and we soon fell asleep in bed cuddling.