Ally

Sophia walked along with Estrid and Maja, who were tired of sitting on the wooden cart holding their belongings. It was the second day of walking; they had all stopped to rest the previous night. Sophia didn't want to bother Ragnar, especially since Lagertha was with him. The young woman also didn't want to give Lagertha the wrong impression. However, she could talk with the children visiting her now and then. It was nice talking with them. The twin girls were with their parents and sleeping on wooden carts. Fridleif was walking with Sophia.

"I was curious. Where are we going?"

"We're going to the city that belongs to Golm. He is one of Father's allies. Golm also has a hatred for Itzvar. Father said we are almost to the city."

"Ragnar knew that he was outnumbered and his people were suffering. Why not go to his ally in the beginning?"

Fridleif was silent for a moment. "Father has reasons but feels he shouldn't bring others to his troubles. Father doesn't want more death. However, we are in more danger, so there is no other option but to ask for help."

Sophia nodded her head as she looked at the young boy. "You are brilliant for your age. You will be great as your father."

Fridleif blushed. "Mother says that as well. However, I don't know if I will be great as a father. He is a legend, and his name is known throughout the land."

"You shouldn't doubt yourself, Fridleif. "If you don't believe in yourself, you have already failed. You're young and still have time to train and prove you will be a great warrior."

 "Thank you, Sophia. I need to train harder. Sooner or later, Father will take me to one of his raids. I can finally prove myself worthy."

Deep down, the young woman smiled but felt slightly uncomfortable about the young boy going on a raid. Friedleif was still too young. Yet, Sophia shouldn't be too surprised. Boys are raised and trained to be Vikings, even if it means to kill or be killed. It was a cruel reality. "You still have time, Fridleif. Just be patient." Suddenly, Sophia saw something afar. 

"It seems we're almost to our destination. I must be with my father and mother. I will see you soon." The young went off with his parents.

"Thank the gods that we are arriving. It can be tiring traveling," said Estrid.

"Walking can be tiring, but meeting new people is a nice opportunity. Anyway, I hope this Golm can help us against Itzvar."

Estrid got a piece of bread and gave a piece to Sophia. "From what I heard, Golm is an exceptional warrior. He also has two sons who are great warriors."

"Well, I can't wait to meet them and to rest."

The two young women kept on speaking to one another. Maja watched them now and then as she took charge of her cart. "You both won't have time to rest, especially with what is to come."

Ragnar and his people walked closer to the city. A guard saw them and blew a horn, catching everyone's interest. In a particular sizeable wooden house, three men walked out. An older man who looked to be in his early sixties with messy gray shoulder-length hair wore handmade dark armor. He was smaller in height compared to the two young men. The older man had a gray beard that was braided on the bottom. His left eye had a long scar, and his eyes were dark brown with a white shade over them. Even in small stature, the older man had a rough exterior and held sternness. 

"It seems Ragnar and his people have come."

"Indeed, father, which means trouble."

"It means Itzvar attacked once again."

The older man walked ahead, as did many people. Ragnar stopped, as did everyone behind him. The older man made himself visible to Ragnar; the two stepped forward. Suddenly, the two men smiled and laughed as they hugged one another. "Ragnar, my friend, where have you been? It has been many years since we have seen one another."

"Golm, it is good to see you still live. I still remember when I first joined your raid. You have taught me much."

"Nonsense. You always had a gift for fighting; the gods have blessed you." Golm then looked behind Ragnar. "Was it Itzvar?"

"It was Frode, but he and Itzvar are allies. We all had to leave a soon as we could. We survived and overcame the attack, but my people wouldn't be able to survive another."

Golm nodded. "You chose wisely to come here. My sons would disagree, but we would be next since Itzvar and his allies hate us. Well, you and your people are welcome here. They will stay with my people. Also we will help build homes for them as well. You all may stay with us as long as you like."

"We thank you, Golm. Your kindness will be repaid. I know we have much to discuss." Ragnar looked at his people and motioned them to enter the city. Sophia and Estrid watched as everyone was being welcomed. However, the two noticed two men who didn't look happy.

Sophia noticed one of the men looking at her for a while but then going inside a house. The young woman didn't know why but felt she and the young man would see each other more often.