“He trains the pups every morning. He never misses… never. And he is always on time. But he didn’t show up today. I can’t mind link him either.” His hands dropped, feeling defeated. Judging from his expressions and demeanor, it was evident that he was worried. It was easy to understand that his thoughts had drifted to the day Zack was murdered.

My wolf felt uneasy. She wasn’t talking but there was something different about her.

“Don’t worry, Alpha. It’s Josh we’re talking about. He must’ve gone somewhere without informing and will return soon I’m sure.”

And then he said the words which I never wanted to hear in my life again.

Ever.

“Then why can’t I feel his connection?”

My heart raced as my chest tightened. Then with one step backwards, I crumpled like a puppet suddenly released of their strings. A sound roared through me as my knees buckled, and black spots pressed their way into my vision. I fell back on someone.

“Alpha?”

“Vivian? Are you okay?”

It only happened when Zack... no- no that cannot be true.

Josh cannot die.

“Fine. Thank you, my savior Josh. What would the world be without you in it?”

“Fortunate for you, you’ll never have to find out.”

My eyes met my Dad’s, who didn’t need to know what was wrong with me.

He knew what I was thinking.

My mind had travelled back to when it all happened. The blood pounded in my ears. My heart thudded in my chest.

Seeing that I was not in the state to speak, Dad took over.

“Carlos, we’ll call an emergency meeting at your pack so we can get to searching.”

Alpha Carlos eyes flittered from me to my Dad, unsure of what to do. Even though he was an Alpha, at the moment he was a father who was helpless. And no one knew that position better than my Dad himself.

“We will find him, Carlos. I promise you.” Dad hugged him and whispered something to him before he was back on his way.

Turning around towards me, he knelt down to my level, “Deep breaths, Vivian… Inhale… Exhale,” His arms wrapped around me and brought me in for a comforting hug.

“Dad, Josh…. he isn’t dead, is he?” My hazel eyes met their reflection in his. “I didn’t feel Zack when he... w-when-.”

“He is not dead, Vivian.”

“How do you know?” I choked on a sob, tears rushing down my cheeks.

He brushed them away with his thumb and then cupped my face, “Because lack of connection also means he is either too far away or his wolf isn’t responding.”

None of the options gave me the comfort I needed but at the moment, anything was better than death.

“I’ll take Alpha to the pack doctor.”
Coming back to my senses, I finally turned around to see who was holding me. It was Ron.

Getting back on my feet, I smiled in gratitude. “I’m fine. Thanks, Ron.”

Pull yourself together, Vivian.

We need to find Josh.

Walking back into the pack-house, I headed straight towards my office and called for Beta Jonathan.