SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

CHAPTER 15
DUDUZILE 

Part of me wants to turn back and run away but it's too late. A woman came out of the house chasing cars, with her clapping her in shock. She stood by the gate for some time until the cars disappeared out of sight. She shakes her head with a long sigh. 
Shortly Simphiwe comes out of the house and I just feel that the world could swallow me right this minute. My legs fail to shun from the scene. Instead of running for my dear life a wave keeps pushing me forward and forward. 
“Babe, can you come back inside!” that’s him shouting standing by the shade with his hands in his pockets. So, this must be the wife. I swallow a huge lump stuck up on my throat. She is nothing compared to me. Another wave pushes me towards her. Without her noticing me that I am right behind her as she walks back to the house. A tear drop – Fihliwe is having another episode. I am not enjoying motherhood at all. I take a breather and shove myself in by taking the plunge. 
The look on Simphiwe’s face. He runs to the house and closes the door behind him. I don't know where the woman disappeared to but what I know is I am not welcomed here. All I want is for my daughter to be well and he has to do right by her, as the father. 
It takes a lot of dauntlessness in me - but it wasn't long before help was knocking at his door. No answer. Another knock again and an elderly woman opens. 
“Can I help you?” she asks with a wrinkly frown on her face. I am tired, thirsty and hungry. All she could do was to let me in and have a seat. At least, offer me some water as well. But no...
“I am here to see Simphiwe.” I responded by not looking at her. She looks at me and waits for my continuation
My presence here is unsolicited!
“Mah, can you close the door it’s too...” 
The lady that was outside minutes ago stopped talking when her eyes landed on me.
“Ow, Hei. How can we help?” 
I failed to respond. A soft sob escapes my mouth. I don’t know how to put this. I stretch my hand with baby Fihliwe shaking again vigorously.
“I don’t know what to do anymore.” 
“What you mean you don’t know what to do anymore?”
She steps outside fully and looks at me. 
“She just shakes like this all night.”
My lips quiver and the unexpected heavy sob leaves my mouth. The woman takes the baby from my hand and yank the blankets off her tiny body. 
“Jehovah!” 
She throws my baby to the woman. The old woman looked shocked...
They both step inside the house and I follow without being instructed. My tiny butt lands on the comfortable leather couch. So, the man has been living a soft life all along. I chuck shaking my head. Last time I was here we were just parked outside the gate. 
The old woman hands me a glass of water – with the thirst crowding my throat the water drowned. 
“Thank you.” 
I say wiping my mouth. 
Fihiliwe is now sleeping peacefully on another womans arm. 
“So young lady. What brings you here?” 
I look around trying to scan for Simphiwe but the man is not available in sight. 
I take a deep breath not even knowing where to begin. I can't do this all alone without him in sight. 
“My daughter has been sick for quite some time and I don't know what to do anymore.” 
“Did your family try anything?”
I shake my head no because my mother cares less honestly. It's just me and my daughter. 
“The surname of your child.” 
“Shandu.” 
My tongue quickly says. I look at the floor wishing that these gigantic tiles could swallow me once and for all. 
“There is only one Shandu within the area.” 
Another says. 
“Simphiwe is the father.” Again, my tongue shot sharply. 
“Angizwanga!” 
The room buzzes with the woman's rhetorical question. I look on the side failing to even look at her. She lets out a bitter laugh and claps her hand. 
“What did you say?” 
She takes steps towards me but stops herself. She smiles and goes to the kitchen – she comes back with a wet cloth and steps out of the house. I don’t know whether it is me or the woman has suddenly gone mad. 
After some time, Simphiwe finally comes down stands...
“Come and explain yourself.” One of the aunts said. There is a woman that has been sitting in the corner with another girl. Ever since I got here, she has not even moved out of the couch or even attempted to speak – she must be a visitor. 
Simphiwe takes baby steps towards us and slowly sits down...
“Care to explain?” 
“It was as mistake aunt.” 
I chuck not believing. My baby was a mistake to him!
“How was Fihliwe a mistake when I told you not to nut in me?’ 
I want to strangle home to death for making me look bad, like a fool in front of these people. 
“You don’t speak to someone's husband like that.” 
These grannies have got to be kidding me. How do I get to respect someone who doesn’t respect their own home? 
The wife comes back...
“I am going to fetch Zuri, her nanny just called and said she fainted in daycare.” 
“WHAT!”
That is Simphiwe on his feet. She grabs the cars keys on top of the table and runs out of the house with Simphiwe trying to limp behind her. 
“Sit down!” 
One tells Simphiwe - I see him sinking back down and keeps his mouth shut. 
This house is like a circus - I am watching everything at close range. And what upsets me the most is that the man who nutted in me, hasn’t bothered to ask about my Fihliwe. Am I hurt? Yes, I am! Not once has he shown empathy for my baby girl. Now I realize that I made a big mistake coming here. I feel like screaming my lungs out and breaking these high walls down. My chest is rising up and down with so much anger in it..