SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

Start from the beginning

SIMPHIWE

I had to go see my father early in the morning. I am all over the place and I don’t even know what to do. On the other hand, Bagqibile has been having some abnormal pains now and again, which means I will have to be close to her and watch her like a hawk. How will I do that when there is Dudu with a sick baby and my wife on the other hand is giving me mixed signals. 
I sigh looking at the tall trees with my dry throat. I hope whatever I am about to do will not be a slap back on my face. We park outside some falling hut. I don’t know how a man that lives with spirits prefers to live in a hut like this. My foot is aching and I cannot drive any long distances. Driving outside of Eshowe would be signing my death warrant. 
“Are you sure this is the place?” I ask looking around. It’s like we are in some horror movie...
“You may come in.” a voice shouted from inside. I get startled... I swear this place is ghosted. I look at my father who is looking back at me. He must have heard the voice. Is he thinking what I'm thinking? Run and never looks back.
“Let's go in.” What! I am never going in there. 
“Ow, hell no! I'm not going in there.” I take steps back. He cannot push me into the army of darkness.
“Then we go back home and never bother me in the middle of the night with your troubles.” 
I have no other option, do I?” I slowly follow him from behind. 
“Take off your shoes.”
The more this grating voice speaks the more I am just annoyed by it. 
My father does the honor by taking off his shoes and I follow behind. It smells of all kinds of medicine you can imagine. I want to gag right there and then...
“What brings you here so early in the morning?” He asks. We are seated on a mat and not even once has he lifted his eyes to face us, like a man!
“My granddaughter...” how rude of him to cut my father off while he is still talking. 
“Talk.” Only now does he lift his head to look at us. I swallow hard trying not to look in his eyes but there's nothing to look able in this hut. 
“My daughter is sick.” I say in a shallow voice. I bring my knees to my chest. I am just wearing shorts and Nozi’s pink slippers that are being ambushed by the dush of evil. 
“You child is not sick. It’s the ancestors not recognizing her. She was named Fihliwe and that name angered your ancestors. Take your child home. There is nothing that I can be able to give you or do.” He burps standing up. He stretches his hand and comes back with a small bottle. Did he just dip his hand in that mess. Forget about the mess, did he just tell me that I need to take my Fihliwe home?
“What do you mean I need to take Fih... I mean Light home?” 
“It, means just that. Here take this and rub it on your foot. It will ease the pains.”
I look at the black bottle and cringe. I cannot take that with my hands. He throws the bottle towards me making it land on my lap. 
“So, there is nothing that you can do?” My father asks.
“The ancestors are not allowing me to.” 
“But you helped me with Sphephelo.” I frown – who is Sphephelo? 
“With your daughter – it was a different case.” 
My father sighs. I will not ask him this now. We will talk once outside. 
“In that case we beg to take our leave.” My father stands up first and like a lightning.

“So, you have been here before with my mother?” I ask. I am very curious to know. I am no longer angry with this issue with my father cheating and having a child outside marriage. I may just hurt on my mother's behalf.
“She was always sick. You do know that once the child is seven days, we slaughter a chicken and welcome the child at home. I didn't do that with Sphephelo, so the ancestors were punishing me for my reckless behavior.” he says driving out. Time to think about something. Ziqubu is married but her two sons were introduced to our ancestors. Apparently idlozi lika Sandu linomona.
“I'm in deep shit!” 
I say leaning backwards. What am I going to do? 
“How are you going to tell Makoti?”
“I don’t know. I am doomed for better for worse. I can’t do that at home either – you know how your wife is..”
I sigh. Doing it at home will be basically me telling my mother to tell Nozi of my dark secret. Looks like my kids will be hidden until further notice. They will follow after Fihliwe’s name.
“I cannot tell you what to do because I didn’t tell you to go make those babies.” He is right but I need his support. My father focuses on the and continues to drive. He takes another route; guess we are not going home.