FOUR

I knocked on the door of Conrad's office and waited for his response.

''Come in,''

I entered the office and noticed another person in the room before closing the door.

''You came at the right time, Miss carmen,'' Nyctimus smiled.

''It's good to see you, Nyctimus,'' I responded before facing the gaze that never left my face.

''Where were you?'' Conrad asked.

''The Library,'' I answered as I settled on a single couch in front of Conrad's desk.

"The royal or nobles'?" He questioned.

''The maid guided me to the Library for royals,'' I answered, remembering the hallways leading to the library were quiet.

Too quiet than other hallways that are always bustling every day.

There are two libraries in the castle, one for the royal family exclusively, and another for the nobles in the kingdom.

The maid explained to me.

It seems my identity as Conrad's mate gave me access to the library for the royal family.

Conrad nodded satisfactorily and hummed.

''Do you need something?'' Conrad asked with worried eyes.

''Yes, but you have a visitor,'' I gestured to Nyctimus sitting across with a smile.

''No, Don't worry,'' Nyctimus joked. ''The future queen must meet her King.'' 

''No,'' I ignored his joke and stood up from the single couch, ready to leave the office.

''I will tell you later,'' I said to Conrad.

He nodded with a slight smile.

''But before the future queen leaves,'' Nyctmius spoke and suddenly wiping the smile off his face, ''I need to talk to you urgently.''

'It appears to be serious,' I wondered.

''I also needed to talk to you,'' I said to him and stared at Conrad, ''but it seems you are speaking with Conrad.''

''It is very urgent, Miss Carmen,'' Nyctimus repeated.

''I want to.... No... I need to know what happened on the day of the battle,'' He demanded seriously.

I looked at Nyctmius briefly before glancing at Conrad and sat back down.

''What do you need to know?'' I asked, crossing my arms and right leg over left.

Nyctimus approved my behavior with a slight nod before looking at Conrad apologetically, ''I am deeply sorry, your majesty, but I need to speak to her majesty alone.''

I froze at the words Nyctmius used to address me.

'Her Majesty,'

I glanced at Conrad to see if he had a problem with it, but it seemed my worries were for naught. 

He looked pleased with the title Nyctimus used to call me.

Although his face is always stoic, I could tell that he is happy from his eyes.

''Does he have to go?'' I was puzzled why Conrad had to leave.

Conrad doesn't seem power-hungry from what I have seen and witnessed alongside him, and he is not stupid for not knowing my connections with the gods of the supernatural world.

''Sometimes, Knowing too much is not good for mere mortals, Carmen,'' Nyctimus answered.

''Don't worry, Carmen,'' Conrad arranged the documents on his table before leaving the office, ''I have to go somewhere.''

 After the door closed, I mumbled in realization at Nyctimus's statement, ''Oh.''

''You are right,'' I agreed.

Nyctimus removed his shades and placed them on his lap while staring at me with his white eyes.

''I see,'' He murmured with a small smile.

''You know...''  Nyctimus started as he wore his shades. ''The messenger has never given me a message or prophecy from the Lycan god until you, Carmen.'' 

'' Or should I greet the messenger of moon goddess?'' He smiled.

''Don't call me that,'' I mumbled, uncomfortable with the title. 

Ryder did the same.

He chuckled lowly before saying, ''Well, it is an honor to meet the messenger of the moon goddess, but that is not my concern.''

'' I do not know how to tell you.....'' Nyctimus was about to finish his words, but he suddenly stilled and turned his sight to the darkest corner of the office momentarily before looking at me.

I glanced at that corner, but there was nothing there.

If there is an extra person in the office, I will know immediately.

''Ah,'' Nyctimus sighed without finishing his previous sentence.

''It seems I cannot say,'' Nyctimus mumbled.

''Say what?'' I ask, intrigued at what he is not saying.

''Don't worry about that, Miss carmen,'' He smiled, but this time I could sense the meaning behind that smile.

Pity.

'why?' I wondered as I wanted to look at his eyes, but his shades were covering them. 'Why do I sense pity from him?' 

''All I can tell you is to take everything easy and don't do things alone,'' Nyctimus stood up, and I followed his action.

''Why won't you tell me?'' I asked, ignoring his excuse of dodging the topic of discussion.

''I cannot tell you, Miss Carmen, and you might know why I can't,'' Nyctimus answered.

I didn't say anything for a moment and stared at Nyctimus.

Biting my lower lip, I answered, ''the moon goddess.''

He smiled without confirming anything and turned his back to open the door.

''All I can tell you is to take rest when you feel weak. After all, you are going through a phase,'' Nyctimus left the office and closed the door.

*****

Nyctimus stood outside the closed door for a while and sighed, ''I do not understand what the gods are doing.''

''But, strangely,  she didn't sense Fenrir,'' he mumbled as he started to walk.

''After all, they are both messengers.''

Thank you for 1k reads

Enjoy!