20

Drew

Today was the funeral and Karen was taking it so very hard. She went back not talking at all,
Not eating and just not being herself.
I talked to the kids and told them to just be on their best behavior for their mother cause this is hard for her and they're doing just that.
I barely heard a peep from them this morning but I made sure they were getting ready and getting along. I was in the room with Karen helping her get dressed. I just helped her wash so we could get ready.

"Sit right here and let me go get your dress."

I said sitting her on the bed and going into her closet. I came back with the new dress still wrapped up in the bag. I laid it down on the bed next to her and got her lotion.
While I lotion her down I saw her staring at the picture of her mother on her nightstand.
Tears ran down her face and I grabbed her chin gently and made her look at me.

"Your gonna be okay, okay?
I got you baby. I won't let you fall if you just lean on me."

She looked me in my eyes and I looked into hers as the room went plain silent. I got closer to her and kissed her deeply sliding my tongue into her mouth she let out a moan-

"Dad!"

Kierra said knocking on the door,
stopping me in my tracks.

"Kierra I'm busy right now!"

"Sorry but Auntie Doe said to tell you that hearse is on the way to the house. Auntie Doe said everyone is on the way to the house now."

"Alright thank you"

I looked at Karen looking at the door and I just continued to get her dressed. A few minutes later we were ready and everyone was there.
We all got into the hearse and drove to the funeral. It was pretty silent for the first few minutes then Jacky wanted to talk about the good time they had with their mother.

"Remember when we were outside shoveling and I slipped on Ice, then Denise, Twinkie, Dorinda, Karen, and Mama? I don't know how nobody thought about going the other way"

Everyone chuckled except Karen who was just looking out the window. I took her hand and squeezed it tightly. For the rest of the ride, she didn't say anything even when her sisters would ask her something but it was understandable. We got to the church and as soon as we got in the sanctuary Karen stopped.

"I can't do this Drew"

"It's going to be okay.
You'll be okay."

"No Drew I'm serious.
I don't want to do this."

"Alright, you wanna go outside for a second?"

"Yea"

Karen said softly and I walked her back outside. I helped her do a few breathing techniques and talked to her so she could ease her nerves down a little. I knew it was hard for her and if I could bring her mother back I would. I'd do anything for Karen.

"Hey Karen, you alright?"

My mother said coming down the stairs.
I got up to help her down the rest and she walked over to Karen.

"I'm- I'm okay..."

"As you look so flushed, baby.
Do you need any water or anything?"