8

A month later...

Drew

I was in my office doing some work for the church when there was a knock on my door.

"Come In"

I said as I continued working.

"Hey son"

I heard a low familiar voice say and I knew instantly it was Mama Mattie.

"Hey Mama"

I said sighing and getting up.
Every time I saw her I saw Karen,
Karen resembled her mother just a little bit when I see Twinkie I'd go the other direction cause she and Karen looked like so much.

"How are you holding up?"

She said as she sat down.

"I'm doing mama, how are you?"

"I'm alright, I came to talk to you about Karen"

I looked at her and sat back down in my chair.

"Mama-"

"Drew, I know you don't want to talk about it but the doctors need us to make a decision"

"What decision Mama? The only choice they gave us was cutting the cord! I can't do that to her, she might wake up! It's hard enough I had to cremate our son alone!"

I fussed in frustration.

"I'm sorry mama I can't function with Karen being in this mess. I can't function with the fact that it was my fault we lost our baby and now she's in a coma! It was my idea.
My idea to have a baby so it's my fault!"

"It's not your fault-"

"It is mama! It is!
Karen didn't want any kids and women to know.
She probably knew there was something wrong way before this but I didn't wanna listen."

"Drew, none of this is your fault.
Things like this happen but God knows what he's doing."

"But why mama?"

"I don't know and we shall not question the lord but know we need to keep praying but sometimes we need to let go and let god.
Even-"

Mattie started to tear up.

"Even if that takes letting my baby go....
We'll be okay but she's laying in that hospital bed miserable and Karen wouldn't want it that way. What would Karen want?"

Sniffles filed the room from Drew and Mattie.

"She wouldn't want to be laying there.
I feel so selfish, I knew she wouldn't want to be just laying there. I'm going to head over to the hospital and tell them that we're going to cut the cord. The rest of the sisters should be there already-"

The office phone rung cutting Drew off.
He answered the phone and for a second there was silence until a soft quiet voice said...

"Drew"

Drew stayed quiet but wanted to bust out in tears.

"K-Karen...Baby..."

"Hi Honey"

Drew broke down crying...

"I- I missed you so much, baby."

"Praise God"

Mattie whispered in tears realizing her baby was awake.

"Drew where's the baby? I wanna see it.
Was it a boy or a girl?"

Karen said making Drew's heart shatter.

"Um-"

"Oh wait for, baby, the Doctor is here so I gotta call you back but I want you here with me.
I know the church always keeps you busy but I need you here baby. It felt like I haven't seen you in years."

"I'll be there as soon as a possible baby."

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you too"

Interview

Karen

"I remember when I opened my eyes I saw Dorinda hovering over me saying if you wanna go to the mall and then get some Henry's blink twice and I was so confused at the time because I didn't know why I was staring at the ceiling and why I had a tube down my throat.
But I did blink tierce because Dorinda was still over me then I remember she started shouting but that was the scariest moment of my life especially getting wheeled into surgery and not being able to have my husband or anyone that I knew in the room with me.
This time was a hard moment for us.
Drew didn't tell me about the baby until he got to the hospital that um- that...."

"That our son didn't make it and Karen...
Man Karen she lost it. When I tell y'all it was hard to see her cry and just not be herself.
It hurt everyone around her."

I wiped my tears with the tissued that was sat in between Drew and I. Drew held my hand as he changed the subject.

"The next part will be about Karen's journey and recover after learning the news and coming over. We'll be right back."

TBC💔