15

A few years later

Karen

It's been a few years since I've had the thing kids now. They're now 7, J Drew is 9 and Kierra is 11. I officially couldn't have any more kids because I was diabetic and going through early menopause but I was happy with the family God blessed Drew and me with.
Today was a girl's day with my sisters, their daughters, my daughters, and me. It was Mother's Day weekend and it'll be our first without mama so we wanted to take our minds off of it. So we had booked out a nail and hair salon for the day.

"Mommy look I got pink nail polish"

My daughter Krista said coming up to me and showing her nails.

"Those are so pretty! You look, beautiful baby! Kierra, what color did you get?"

"I got purple!"

She said showing me one of her finished hands.

"Ouuu that's pretty!"

"Karen, remember when mama asked me if was I singing to cats?"

Dorinda said making me bust out laughing.

"Yes! You were singing to cats I was like why does she sound like that? What is going on?!
She can do better."

"I- you said that I sounded good"

"No girl you sounded like puberty.
Your voice didn't know what to do.
It attempted to be either high or low but it ended up being raspy."

Jacky said chuckling.

"Oh please, Jacky, and when you sing you sound like you yawning!"

Dorinda said sipping her tea.

"Girl they don't even need melatonin.
All you gotta do is sing and they'll be asleep in less than 5 seconds. Sounding like you singing a lullaby."

"Dorinda!"

Twinkie shouted trying to hold back her laugh.

"It's just the facts!"

Dorinda said shrugging her shoulders.
I sat back and laughed as the hairdresser put rollers in my hair. I opened the magazine that I was reading and read it as everyone talked.

A few minutes later

Dorinda

My hairdresser was taking the rollers out of my hair when I realize Karen wasn't talking when her hairdresser said that she had to go under the dryer.

"Mrs.Sheard, time to go under the dryer."

Karen just stared out into space.

"Karen, the baby did you hear her?"

Mama said looking at Karen.

"Is mommy okay?"

Krista said as she played with Kierra.