four times

The first time Risa heard Leni sing was in the car. She was driving back from their go-to restaurant to their condo after a dinner date, Risa was searching for a good playlist on her phone before connecting it to the car bluetooth while the radio is still playing when suddenly a song she recognized came on.

Leni was quick enough to stop her hand from tapping the play button on her spotify and turn the volume of the song slightly up — but not the loud that the other woman couldn't hear her voice as well.

"Nais ko ay magpakilala sa iyo
At ipahiwatig ang nilalaman ng puso ko
Maunawaan mo kaya o baka sampalin mo lang ang aking mukha
Nagdadalawang isip na

Huwag na lang kaya huwag na lang kaya

Nais ko ay ialay sa iyo
Ang puso ko na umiibig sa yo
Ngunit di mo na yata kailangan ng ganyan
Meron ka na yatang kasintahan
Naninikip ang tiyan"

The car ride got to the point where Risa needs to stop at a red light, she can't help but look at the passenger seat where Leni is— singing.

She was absentmindedly scrolling through her phone, head moving with the beat of the song and Risa is not even sure if Leni realized that she was singing, but it was one of those moments where she looked so relaxed and so content that it made Risa's heart flutter.

Risa can't help but lean on her and place a kiss on her cheek, watching with delight as Leni slowly blinked and blushed— she looked up at Risa.

"Para saan 'yun?" Leni asked.

"Maria Leonor," Risa said in a teasing tone, "Akala ko ba, mga lasing lang makakarinig ng kanta mo?"

"Oo nga," Leni replied seriously.

"But it feels and sounded like kinakantahan mo ko kanina," Risa replied. But before the other woman can reply, the light turned green, so nagfocus na lang ulit si Risa sa daan. The song continued to play, but Leni didn't sing a word. "Oh, bakit ka huminto kumanta?" she whined.

"Ayoko na, nakakahiya na. At saka hindi ka naman lasing ah," Leni replied, feeling embarrassed.

"Eh? Tuloy mo na! Hindi ba pwede gamitin yung girlfriend priority card ko? Please? For me?" Risa flashed her puppy eyes that she knows Leni can't resist for sure.

"Also, di ko naman naaalala 'yung kanta mo kapag lasing ako," Risa added.

"Eh kasi nga lasing na lasing ka. Ano 'yun healthy buhay pero hindi kasama atay?"

"Kaya nga let me hear you sing na."

But the dj of the radio show ended Risa's plea. "And that was Huwag Na Lang Kaya by True Faith, our next song is —"

"Ay sayang, tutuloy ko na sana eh. Better luck next time, darling." Leni laughed.

***

The second time Risa heard Leni sing was when she was in the shower. Risa was so sure that the other woman didn't even realize she was doing it, because Risa noticed Leni had become very careful about not letting her hear her sing after the first time she caught her.

"Cute," Risa smiled at the thought.

It didn't make any sense to Risa. She really did have a nice voice. For some, it may not be a The Voice - level good, but it was really good. Well, everything Leni did was good.

For Risa, if the word perfect was a person— it would be Leni.

Leni was showering that morning before going to the office. As Risa walked towards the bathroom door, about to knock and ask her if she wanted some waffles for breakfast, Risa stopped upon hearing her voice.