This may be karma or Willow hadn't quite gotten used to signals either.

Daryl only hummed in disappointment before picking up all of his belongings.

At the campfire, Maggie and Beth sang in a duet. A song called "The Parting Glass". Their voice reached out to Daryl and Willow as they strolled their way down the hills of the fields. Mixed with the sounds of crickets that surrounded them, it was a nice change. Beautiful and peaceful.

Once their voices died down at the end of their melody, Jodie and Aya began to clap while Hershel thanked his daughters for giving him a piece of their past.

"Better all turn in," Rick spoke roughly, squatting beside his heavily pregnant wife and son. He jabs his chin towards Willow, who snapped her gaze away from the Greene's to gaze at him with disappointment. "I'll watch over there. Got a big day tomorrow."

"What do you mean?" Glenn questioned.

"Look," Rick began after a short pause, "I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we got to push just a little bit more. Most of the walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies may be intact. They'll have an infirmary, a commissary -"

"An armory?" Daryl spoke beside Willow, gripping his crossbow and blanket with some hope on his shoulders.

"That would be outside the prison itself, but not too far away. Warden's offices would have info on the location. Weapons, food, and medicine. This place could be a gold mine."

Hershel plucks a blade of grass from the earth, shaking his head. "We're dangerously low on ammo, we'd run out before we make a dent."

"That's why we have to go in there...hand to hand."

Willow blinked slowly, not quite sure if the group could handle fighting beasts that did not tire. After all, they were running on fumes. Their bodies are weak from the days of suffering. She couldn't quite understand why another day of rest wasn't the best of options.

"After all we've been through, we can handle it, I know it." Now, to Carl, "These assholes don't stand a chance."

Not a word is spoken, not even from Carl. Only exhausted exchanges came from the group. Rick sees this and instead of reassurance, he stood up from his feet and made his way toward the flipped-over bus. Needing some time to think.

While Willow and Daryl settled beside Sophia and Legend, Lori stood up to follow behind Rick. Perhaps to persuade her husband to allow everyone to rest. In silence, Willow watched on, covering her and Sophia's legs as they scoot closer to each other. Everyone knew of their problems after Shane, despite Willow doing her best to keep the situation under control and a secret; the word began to spread like wildfire once Lori's pregnancy became known. It was easy to blame Lori for moving on so quickly, but hard to have empathy.

"You warm?" Willow spoke softly towards Sophia, sliding strands of blonde hair from out of her face. The young girl, nearly thirteen years old, rests her head on her pack looking up at the sky as Legend curls between them. Daryl lay on the other side of Sophia. Much as they had done throughout the winter. Keeping her safe as Carol wanted.

"Yes," Sophia nods her head, turning her attention to her elder. The two stare at each other, listening to the crickets and the shuffling of others. It was strange, neither spoke about Carol and her death. Neither mourned her whilst together, yet, a sense of understanding covered them like dust. Loss is now what they know. Both are orphans, but if they have each other, nothing can truly break them.

Daryl tucked his arm underneath his head as he listened to Sophia and Willow whisper until their voices grew low and no longer. Slipping into a deep sleep.

A minute and more went by before Daryl lifted himself, sitting upward with his arms resting upon his bent knees. His eyes changed course to the two figures next to him, their hands locked and their faces relaxed with slumber. It was a sight he could never get enough of. A sight he begged to have for much of his lifetime.

***

"You agree?" Rick turned to face Daryl who had made his way over after leaving Willow and Sophia behind. There wasn't going to be much sleep for the two men, a lot rattled their brains. Exhausted might hold them in place, however, their eagerness to do right by the group clasped them tighter.

"We gotta get in there," Daryl whispered as if the others could hear them, biting his thumbnail. "I want them to be safe - Willow and Jodie ain't fit to be exposed like this. Sophia needs somethin' stable -"

"Hey," Rick placed a hand on Daryl's shoulder, squeezing it. "We will do this. Together. And we will keep our families safe. Nothing will ever happen to them, Daryl. Not with us around. I promise."

Daryl maintained his attention on Rick as his beady eyes twinkled under the moon. He trusted Rick, more than anyone besides Willow. Daryl placed everything in the middle of Rick's palms, following every decision. No matter the outcome. So, instead of doubting like the others, Daryl nods his head in agreement.

Forever placing an unspoken contract to follow Rick to the ends of the earth. Such a twisted fate, how much he loathed the man before him. Now, the pair retained something in common. There's a mutual understanding. Shane might have died, but Daryl took his place. Rick respected that.

The two men looked out towards the prison, listening to the walker's groans.

If this were to be their home, they'd do their damnedest to make it that way.