Forty-four

Today was my birthday. I was turning nineteen. Zain was going to publicly propose during the ball he threw for me. I was so nervous. I looked at my hand and didn't find the ring that I was used to wearing. I had to give it back to him this morning, so he would propose with it at the ball.

The dress I had on was magnificent. It was Specially made for me. It was an off-shoulder, a-line, sparkling evening gown. I loved its lavender shade and how the glittery tule was in gold.

"You look like a queen," Mayan gushed as she stood behind me.

"Thank you. You look gorgeous. I love how black fits you." Her black gown was stunning.

"How are you feeling?"

"Nervous," I admitted. Things were about to change forever tonight.

"You'll do just fine. I can't believe you'll be my queen. Should I start addressing you by 'Your Majesty'?" she smirked, making me shake my head as I laughed.

"Never!" I exclaimed.

"Let's go. Your fiancé can't wait to put a ring on your finger." She winked at me and again, I laughed. The two of us walked to the ballroom together and the nearer we got, the faster my heart beat.

Mayan entered first, then it was my turn. Once my name was announced, everybody looked at me since I was the birthday girl. As I descended the stairs, I noticed Zain making his way towards me. I smiled widely once he extended his hand to me. I took his hand and deeply curtsied. He bowed in return. It was funny how I always resented curtsying for him, but things changed. I loved showing him respect before everyone.

"Shall I have the first dance, Lady Nuriya?" he asked me. He didn't need to ask. He knew I would gladly accept.

"I would love to dance with you, Your Majesty," I said. He took me to the middle of the dance floor and everybody stepped away, forming a huge circle around us.

A lot had changed. When I first got here, all I wanted was his attention to lure him, have him wrapped around my fingers, then eventually kill him. I was now hopelessly in love with him, ready to protect him and die for him.

"You look absolutely breath-taking," he told me as he twirled me, making me blush.

"And you look handsome," I said, placing one hand on his back.

"This reminds me of the first time I saw you," he told me.

"I think we need to thank Feras since he's the one who told you to dance with me," I said, making him chuckle. He didn't care that everybody was watching us. I felt him pull me closer to him and for a few moments I forgot that all eyes were on us. He wasn't supposed to show that kind of affection. Not now. But he didn't care and honestly, neither did I.

After the first dance, we both started to socialize with everybody else. I danced with him four more dances and another one with Feras, then it was time to blow the candles.

"I hope you like this," Zain said, showing me a beautiful diamond necklace. It was perfect.

"It's amazing! I love it!" I exclaimed.

"May I put it on you?" he wondered and I immediately nodded. Once he placed it around my neck, he kissed my cheek and wished me a happy birthday.

"May I have your attention, please?" Zain called out and within seconds, everybody was looking at him. "We're here tonight to celebrate Lady Nuriya's birthday. We are also here because of something else."

I was getting more nervous.

"Nuriya, ever since I saw you the first time during the ball I threw, you changed my life. I found everything I was looking for in you. I see my partner whenever I look at you and I don't think any woman can make me feel the way you do." My heart fluttered at his words. "What I'm trying to say is," he knelt in front of me, making everybody gasp. He wasn't supposed to kneel in front of his people. "Will you do me the honour and be my wife?"

I remembered that my mum once told me that kings only knelt during proposals when they were truly in love with the women they were proposing to. Was he telling the whole kingdom that he loved me?

"I would be honoured to be your wife," I said with a wide smile as my eyes brimmed with tears. He always managed to surprise me with his gestures. I was aware that he was going to propose, but I didn't know that he planned to make it so special like that.

He placed the ring on my finger and once he stood up, he took me in his arms. Everything felt so right, so good to be true. I knew that it was wrong, but Zain made me forget that I was Sedra Orman. I was simply Nuriya with him.

If I let myself believe that though, this would be the end of me. I had to wake myself up from time to time. I should never live in lies.

I knew that I had to tell him who I truly was. I couldn't keep lying to him, but I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to tell him the truth without losing him forever.

As I spent more days with him, I realized that I would rather die than spend my life without him.

_______________________________________________________________
I bet you want somebody to love you as much as Zain loves Nuriya😏😏
Published on September 6th, 2022
Sara