Twenty-nine

"What?" he seemed confused.

"I swear! I saw the servant putting something in the food. You have to trust me! Somebody is trying to hurt you," I told him frantically what I saw.

"Calm down, I believe you," he said, reaching for my hand. I hadn't realized how shaky I was. Somebody was about to hurt him and had I not seen the servant, he might have died. "I will report this to the guards immediately," he informed me. Before he had the chance to walk away, I held his wrist.

"Don't tell anybody anything. I have a better plan," I told him.

"I'm listening," he said as we sat down.

"So... this all depends on guessing. After about twenty minutes or less, start groaning and screaming in pain, okay? This will make the palace staff come as quickly as possible. Based on their reaction, you'll get to know who the perpetrator is and I will definitely testify in front of anyone concerning what I have just seen. The perpetrator may be the closest person you have here," I told him my plan. "You have to know who your enemy is. Usually, whoever planned all of this would be so close to see the outcome of their doing."

"Okay, we will do that," he nodded. "You really need to stop shaking, though." He closed the space between us and took me in his arms. The idea of something happening to him petrified me. I would never be able to see him hurt. Never.

I would do anything to protect this man.

"I'm okay," I whispered. "Let's start our plan," I mumble, pulling myself away from his embrace even though I wanted to stay like that for a while.

"What do we do now, captain?" he smirked, making me laugh a little. I loved how he was trying to lighten up the mood despite the circumstances.

"We need to start scattering the flood around the plates to make it look like we have eaten. Also, cut the chicken," I instructed him as I started working on my plate.

"Damn," he mumbled, causing me to look at him in confusion.

"What's wrong?"

"You're so hot when you're bossy," he said, and I ended up blushing.

"Now is not the right time to be flirty, your Majesty," I smirked as I sat down.

"I can't help it," he grinned as he sat down too.

"Who are your enemies?" I wondered. I was aware that Laith was one of them, but I didn't know who else wanted him dead.

"A lot," he replied, and I frowned. "In Carbilia, I have those who hate that I prefer staying in Vinadra more and they claim that I'm spending more money on developing it. In Vinadra, I have those who hated my father for what he had done and they believe that I'm just like him. Any ruler faces opposition groups, Nuriya," he told me.

"I think you should start groaning and screaming now," I said, taking a deep breath. "Fall to the ground too!" I quickly added.

He did as I told him and immediately, I knelt beside him, getting into the act. He was such a good actor that I thought he was really in pain.

It only took less than one minute for three people to barge in. I studied their faces for a few moments before giving my attention to Zain again.

"We were eating and suddenly he started screaming in pain!" I exclaimed as tears ran down my cheeks. Luckily, I could cry easily despite how I usually suppressed my tears. This talent had proven to be useful.

"Get away from him you killer!" A man surprised me by saying that. I didn't have time to react. I was roughly pulled away from Zain and I felt them wrap something around my wrists, binding them together behind my back.