Chapter Eighteen

"It's right in between Los Santos and Sandy Shores, so you and..." Trevor opened his phone and stared at it for a second. "...Cabbage should be fine. Enough time to go from here to there without having to take a bathroom break."

"Alright." You'd just gotten out of the bathroom and went straight to the Bodhi passenger seat, Trevor quick on your heels.

In the past months, Franklin had been fairly low in communication with Trevor, much to his frustration, due to a 'big project'. It turned out the project he was talking about was some sort of car wash and body repair center. Today was its big opening, and Trevor decided to show his support by arriving and getting his truck hand-washed and waxed.

"It's gonna be nice, having the whole gang together," Trevor told you as he drove. "Kid's the son I've never had and the son Michael's always wanted. You know, I told him I could shape Jimmy up, but for reasons unbeknownst to me, he doesn't want me rubbing off on his biological kid.

"I remember first meeting Franklin. I told him, 'Don't trust Michael farther than you can throw him'. Of course, I didn't know about the wool M had pulled over my eyes at the time, but I knew something was off. It didn't make sense why my best friend was alive, but didn't reach out to me all those years." A sad, contemplative look crossed Trevor's face. He glanced at his right shoulder. Last week, he'd gotten the heartbeat tattoo; it was placed right above the cross that was supposed to memorialize Michael. "Maybe one of these days I'll make myself a tattoo gun prison-style, cross out Mikey's name and replace it with Brad's."

"Instead of crossing it out, why don't you get it removed?" you inquired curiously.

"Because then it'd erase the past, and I don't want that." Trevor's eyes remained steady on the road.

"Getting rid of it would leave room for the future, though."

Trevor glanced at you. "Good point. I might have to think on that one. Here we are," he announced. He pulled into a newly-paved parking lot with a sign declaring CLINTON CAR WASH, UPGRADE, AND REPAIR CENTER. "Shit, I don't know if I'm gonna find parking..."

There were designated areas for each category mentioned on the sign, and they were all backed up by at least three cars.

"Well, while you find parking, I'm gonna go pee," you told him. You left the truck and went into the main indoors area.

You were instantly greeted with the overwhelming aroma of hanging air fresheners, which were hung up on a wall with little price tags on each one. The employee manning the register, a Black man with short dreadlocks, looked you in the eye and addressed you. "Hello, ma'am, I'm JB. How can I help you?"

"My boyfriend's out looking for a spot in the car wash area, and in the meantime, I figured I could pop in here to use the restroom," you told him. "Would you be able to tell me where they are?"

"Totally, there's a place you can piss right down that hallway." JB pointed behind you.

"Man, the fuck?" Franklin had entered the building. "Don't talk to customers like that. This is why I wanted to put you on car detailing and not customer service, you can't socialize worth shit!"

JB scowled at Franklin. "Sorry, boss."

"Shut your ass up with that 'boss' bullshit. You're lucky I know her personally." Franklin waved a quick greeting to you. "I'm assuming Trevor's here, too, if you are."

"Yep, he's wanting to get the car washed. I don't even know if we'll be able to, with all the cars in line," you commented.

"I've got some guys coming in around ten minutes, I'll get them on his truck," Franklin decided aloud.