Chapter 37- Homecoming

Happy Reading :)

"I will make this right. Come home Sorellina."

I was on a plane home, Mama was staying with Rosa for a few more weeks to set up and Felix was taking me home. 

The semester was over for my online classes and Rosa was on the mend. Felix promised things would be better.

*Flashback*

"I am your brother, I still want to protect you. I'm not saying it'll be a free for all when you go home. But i will make everyone back off a bit. And if there is something you think is not right we can compromise." 

*Present*

I hadn't spoken to any of my brothers a part from Joey this entire time. Leo had occasionally popped in but it was radio silence from the rest. I hoped Felix spoke with them ahead of time so I wouldn't have to have any uncomfortable conversations. 

I knew it was unrealistic to think things would go back to normal but a girl can dream.

"Who's picking us up?" I asked 

"Leo." He said while scrolling through the movie selections.

I looked at my brother. My intimidating, fearsome, kind, loving, gentle, brother. 

I had a lot of time after our conversation to think. I went home that day and thought back to every instance he pissed me off or acted like a dad when I didn't want him to. It made me understand all the decisions he made with me and my brothers. 

Understanding and agreeing are two different things, so I appreciated the fact that he didn't excuse his behavior and told me he would make changes. 

My mind was spinning after he told me that story. On one hand I thought, who the hell would let a eight year old in a delivery room, on the other hand I thought, my stubborn brother has been a caretaker from a young age and it's his nature. 

I knew my parents situation was never stable, if my dad had to work it was because they couldn't afford to close the restaurant. Nowadays the restaurant was doing better but 16 years ago having to provide for a family of almost 8 must have been incredibly difficult. 

 I couldn't blame my dad for not being there, especially if my mom wasn't blaming him. But I understood how in the eyes of an 8 year old, watching his mom go through the trauma alone must have shaped his world view immensely. As well as shape his view of his role in the family. His feeling of being the man of the house, the leader of all of us.

Some things were not my battle to fight. I just hoped one day Felix would find peace and feel like he could move on with his life. Not to feel like he couldn't venture out because he had 6 adopted kids at home.

*Landed*

"Leo!" I yelled and hugged my second oldest brother.

"Hi kid, I missed you." He squeezed me back grinning ear to ear when he let me go.

He took my suitcase and we walked to where he had parked the car. We walked towards the audi and when he opened the trunk I was shocked.

"Surprise!" Joey jumped out from the trunk.

"JOEY!" I screeched and rushed forward to him.

I crushed him in a bear hug, I had missed him so much. I was so happy he was there to greet me, it made me feel better about everything. 

"Hi Lydia!" He hugged me back. 

"I missed you." I said.

"Did you?" He said, I pulled back and saw my little brother looking hurt.