*****

By the time they arrived the police station, it’s almost evening. 

Sid and a few other officers were  waiting outside the station.  Monami’s eyes were drawn to the 3rd floor, where the conference room was located.  That is where the briefing will be held.  The last time Monami was there, she was six years old.

Memories starts to trickle like water drops into her mind.

A voice besides her: “Lips pressed together, the upper eyelid drooping ...... Why did I just see a typical expression of pain, hiding within your calm appearance?"

Monami did not expect Karan to be so observant.  Like he said, she thought she hid her emotions well.

  Staring into her beautiful eyes, he continued: “ That ‘hole’ in your heart… is something to do with your father.”

Not wanting to dwell on the subject any longer, Monami answered: “ Aapko jaroor koi galatfehmi ho rahi h Mr. Shergill.. kyonki mere pain ka source abhi aap hain as aap squad ko brief jo karne wale h.."

That took Karan by surprise: “I beg your pardon?”

Monami stepped back: “As your assistant, yeh meri duty bnati hain aapko btane ki bhale hi aap investigation and criminal profiling me ache hain par aapko koi haq nahi h ki aap unka mazaak udaye... They are a very diligent and responsible team of police.  Also, they might not appreciate your dry humour.  So, jab woh aapse sawaal puche toh kya aap unhe ache se aur patiently answer kar sakte hain bina sarcasm ke?"

  “How did you come up with this strange conclusion?” Karan looked at her arrogantly, “Agar main kabhi sarcastic hota hoon toh isliye hamesha kyonki IQ levels me gaon hain. Aur policeman aur mera work dono ka nature different hain toh main unka mazaak bhala kyon udaunga.. isliye because they have little understanding of criminal psychology?“

 Feeling a little offended, he walked on.

 ******

In the conference room.

All the policeman are sitting around the big table that takes up most of the room.  Chief is there too.  After a quick introduction, Sid invited Karan to address the team.

Monami was sitting at the back. 

Karan stood up. He quickly swept a gaze over everyone there. He was not smiling. There wasn't much expression on his face. He started to speak. This was the confident, articulate and professional Karan Shergill. Monami had met the arrogant and sarcastic Karan Shergill;  the ‘I don't give a sh** about you’ Karan Shergill; the warm and cuddly Karan Shergill.  But this was a different side of him that she has not seen before.

*****

"Hum ek local ko dhoond rahe h.. jiski umr 25 se 30 saal ki hain.. Male h.. height medium h... Figure slim h... dikhne me average looking... Aur haan aisa person jo jyadatar cyber cafes, movies theatres aata- jaata ho.. yeh bhi ho sakta h ki woh inme se hi kisi ek place me work karta ho."  

Iss person ko roads ki achi jankaari hain.. har kidnapping se phle yeh  puri detailed planning krta hain.. aur victims bhi bahut carefully choose krta hain.. And yes all of them are either young workers from out of town, dropouts (of schools), or immature boys from the rural areas. Jinke pass bahut km little experience h aur na hi woh physically itne strong hain isliye they can be easily seduced or abducted.

Woh apne victims ko main city me hi approach krta hain.. Infact hum keh sakte uski socialising and interpersonal skills itni achhi h ki woh ladke isse relate kr paate hain aur uss par aasani se trust kar lete hain.. and jab usse lagta hain ki uske target ko uss par vishwaas ho gaya then he will lure them to a specific location, to be killed.