Part 17

Ayah 62:

ولقد أضل منكم جبلّا كثيرا أفلم تكونوا تعقلون

And he had already led astray from among you much of creation, so did you not use reason?

Despite all of this, how sad is the condition of humankind. Despite everything being so obvious and simple, we are so pathetic. The reality of the situation is that most definitely he has led astray much of us.

Jibillan| Word Analysis

It comes from the same root as jabal meaning a mountain. It means something that is huge and reaching high into the sky. So it is a huge group of people that is so crowded it is as if people are sitting on top of each other.

Didn't we think for a moment? If we had thought for just a minute, we would have considered what we were doing and the consequences of these choices. A sane and rational person would not have done this because those (39, 18)

الذين يستمعون القول فيتبعون أحسنه أولئك الذين هداهم الله وأولئك هم أولو الألباب

Who listen to speech and follow the best of it. Those are the ones Allaah has guided, and those are people of understanding.

That is the tragedy. They are intelligent people, very successful and educated in their work and careers. They are exemplary in investments, social navigation, social status, etc. They are brilliant and exceptional, so good at everything. Their brains, however, shut down when they come here.

If Islam is so logical, then why didn't these brilliant people take it? Were they not as smart as we think they are or is there something wrong?

1. Guidance is in the hands of Allaah. Allaah chooses whom to guide and whom to misguide. This is not based on qualification, but is a gift from Allaah.

2. The people do not show the same dedication in spirituality as in other areas. They do not bring the same fervor, dedication, and commitment to this matter while they carry it in others. We need to bring our A-game to deen. It is not ritual! It requires intelligence and understanding to be fully impactful. Bring ihsaan, bring your best abilities. Allaah will give further guidance to those people (39, 18 - above).

This passage has served to separate the people of Paradise from the people of Hellfire. To conclude, Allaah has said (40, 10)

إن الذين كفروا ينادون لمقت الله أكبر من مقتكم أنفسكم إذ تدعون إلى الإيمان فتكفرون

Indeed, those who disbelieve will be addressed, "The hatred of Allaah for you was [even] greater than your hatred of yourselves [on this Day in Hell] when you were invited to faith, but you refused."

You may be frustrated with yourselves today, Allaah was more frustrated with you when you were called to imaan but you disbelieved.

How can you treat Shaytaan as your friend when he is taking advantage of you and is your clear enemy? Allaah is your true friend, your Protector, your Mawla.

Ayah 63:

هذه جهنم التي كنتم توعدون

This is the Hellfire which you were promised.

Now, we get to the sentencing being issued to these criminals. At this point and time, Allaah is directly addressing these people. This is the most appropriate matter for the occasion.

Again, ism'l-ishara is used and it emphasizes that the Hellfire is so close and near. It's close enough to touch and take them. It will be right there. Just like jannah was right there for the obedient to smell, now jahannam is right there for the disobedient to feel.