Part 11

Ayah 35:

ليأكلوا من ثمره وما عملته أيديهم أفلا يشكرون

Liyaakuloo min samarihee wa maa 'amilat-hu aideehim; afalaa yashkuroon

That they may eat of His fruit. And their hands have not produced it, so will they not be grateful?

And why was all this done? So that the people may eat from His fruit. But if you have forgotten, note, that their hands haven't done any of this. Allaah makes this happen, don't you forget (67, 30)

قل أرأيتم إن أصبح ماؤكم غورا فمن يأتيكم بماء معين

Say, "Have you considered: if your water was to become sunken [into the earth], then who could bring you flowing water?"

If Allaah made the water recede back into the earth, nobody could bring it back up for us.

There are two ways to understand this ما

1. As negation e.g. their hands did not produce it

2. Maa mansula e.g. and that which their hands have done

2.Meaning Allaah has provided all of this so they may eat the fruit from Allaah or even that which they do with their own hands – it is also only due to what Allaah has made possible. Nothing we do is possible without the facilitation of Allaah. A farmer requires the the temperatures and soil and water and conditions that Allaah provides. Without them, his crops are nonexistent.

So will they not be grateful? This is a conclusion. Don't these people realize? Don't they show gratitude? Why don't they live a life of gratefulness if they can't live without these provisions (the verse mentions food and water) provided to them by Allaah?

This was the physical understanding of Verses 33-35. There is also a spiritual understanding, a spiritual reflection. Verse 32 ended upon each and every single person being presented before Allaah at resurrection. We know the mushrikun of Makkah and all the other disbelievers always questioned being brought back to life once they have died and the bodies have decomposed.

They had doubts about humans being brought back to life, yet, they didn't even look at the earth. This barren earth was brought back to life and then it was sprawling with lush gardens and vegetations. The same ground which was barren is flowing with water and people are benefiting from it, eating from it, making more out of it. Why don't you realize? Why can't you be grateful? If Allaah can bring it back to life, then He can do the same to you.

Even further, this shows how a person can be spiritually revived. A person without the understanding of tawhid/Oneness of Allah is like a dead person.

AHyaynaha – When Allaah grants him the understanding of tawhid, imaan he is brought back to life.

wa akhrajna minha Habban – some good comes out of him

faminhu yakulun – he starts to benefit from it, people start to benefit from him

wa ja'alna fiha jannaatin min nakhilin wa a'naabin – if he continues to walk on this path, he can continue to climb the steps of taqwa, shukr, birr, tawakkul. He can become like the lush garden which has benefits in society, family, business, etc. Everywhere he goes, people benefit from him.