Part 16

Ayah 58:

سلام قولا من ربّ رحيم

[And] "Peace," a word from a Merciful Lord.

Salaamun| Word Analysis

They will be given salaam - peace and safety. A proclamation is being made like a congratulations. It is showered down upon them. It is in the common form so it is peace and safety of every type for all of eternity.

And this is a word (salaamun) given to them from Rabbi Ar-Rahmaan.

Rabb| Word Analysis

It is the one who created, provides, sustains, maintains, guides, and protects. He has done all of these for you. He has guided you to this path, had mercy upon you, forgiven you, and given you this luxurious place of abiding for all of eternity. It is self-descriptive.

And they will say (7, 43)

ونزعنا ما في صدورهم من غلّ تجري من تحتهم الأنهار وقالوا الحمد لله الذي هدانا لهذا وما كنا لنهتدي لولا أن هدانا الله لقد جاءت رسل ربنا

بالحق ونودوا أن تلكم الجنة أورثتموها بما كنتم تعملون

And We will have removed whatever is witin their breasts of resentment, [while] flowing beneath them are rivers. And they will say, "Praise to Allaah, Who has guided us to this and we would never have been guided if Allaah had not guided us. Certainly the messengers of our Lord had come with the truth." And they will be called, "This is Paradise, which you have been made to inherit for what you used to do."

They have proclaimed that they could not have gotten here if they had not received this guidance from their Lord. Their Lord who is Ar-Rahmaan. The One Who is merciful to you from before you are created until now when you are in jannah. He has been and is ultimately and continuously merciful to you.

Ayah 59:

وامتازوا اليوم أيها المجرمون

[Then He will say], "But stand apart today, you criminals.

Now, we switch for the people of the left-hand, the people of Hellfire. We are introduced to them in a very powerful way. There are remarkable stories regarding this aayah that the scholars have mentioned. In their night prayers, they would come to it and recite it all night long, weeping as they are reciting until morning time has come.

The transition from speaking regarding the people of jannah to the people of naar is remarkable.

Wamtaazu| Word Analysis

This is in the imperative, the command form. It comes from imtiyaz meaning to separate something that was mixed. Like picking out a particular nut from trail mix.

People in the world are mixed up. Everyone is crossing paths, living in the same neighbourhoods, going to the same schools, and attending the same parties. There was no distinction between right and wrong, but there were some who were living a conscious lifestyle. They were crossing paths, but at the same time, they had a different lifestyle.

Sometimes the punishment of Allaah doesn't come immediately. People who are ungrateful and disobedient are living life without a harsh, open punishment. This should not deceive them. It should not serve as validation of their ways.

The blessing of Allaah is of two types: quantity and quality. They forget (6, 44)

فلما نسوا ما ذكروا به فتحنا عليهم أبواب كل شيء حتى إذا فرحوا بما أوتوا أخذناهم بغتة فإذا هم مبلسون