Part 1

Introduction:

This is a Makkan surah, revealed during the time of the Messenger of Allah pbuh lived in Makkah.

The Makkan surah focus upon three main aspects in imaan:

• tawhid (the Oneness of Allaah)

• risalah (Messengership of Muhammad s, that he is a messenger sent by Allaah to guide all of creation and he receives divine revelation)

• and the reality of the al-aakhirah (Hereafter) and what will be encountered therein.

Surah Ya-Sin's (36) placement within the Quran, it follows Saba (34) and Faatir (35) which are also Makkan surahs. Saba and Faatir are also Makkan surah so there focus is to discuss tawhid, risalah, and al-aakhirah. Ya-Sin continues with these themes, but it takes a different tone. It starts by focusing more heavily on the prophethood of Muhammad pbuh. Faatir did discuss the prophethood and the importance of believing in the Messenger of Allah pbuh, but it more heavily focuses on tawhid. Ya-Sin places a heavy emphasis on the prophethood of Muhammad pbuh.

There are few ahadith which discuss the virtue of Ya-Sin as mentioned by the Messenger of Allaah. There is discussion regarding the authenticity of these narrations, but the two that exist are

(1) Everything has a heart and Ya-Sin is the heart of the Qur'aan.

What this exactly means is heavily discussed by the scholars. The most apparent understanding, however, is the beauty with which Ya-Sin constructs this argument and the beauty with which it flows discussing themes and concepts. It is so comprehensive and coherent that it is a perfect example of the miracle of the Qur'aan.

Second, it is so universally loved, admired, revered, and respected by Muslims. The most renowned scholar and the average Muslim who may not be able to recite with proper tajwid will hold in common their reverance and love for this surah. They still know it is something amazing and mindblowing. It is its acceptability in the hearts of people that alludes to it being the heart of the Qur'aan.

Another narration with this idea is the Prophet pbuh had said, "I wish for Surah Ya-Sin to be in the heart of every single believing person." This is the focus behind this study: to memorize the surah as in the wish of the Messenger of Allah pbuh.

(2) Recite Surah Ya-Sin upon your dead.

Meaning when somebody is at the door of death, experiencing the pangs of death, the Messenger of Allah pbuh is advising us to recite it to ease their transition to the afterlife and make it easier for that person to leave this world.

This is a prevalent practice in the Muslim community, but it has been more into a ritual. They are the words of Allah so they do have soothing, calming affect on people, but so do other surahs.

Why this surah? It talks about imaan, it reaffirms tawhid, risalah, al-aakhirah. It talks about everything of great importance.

What the Messenger of Allah pbuh is actually alluding to is that when there is mass education in our communities of Qur'aan and the meaning and understanding, the recitation will reaffirm the faith of that person. It will reconnect him to Allah. It will remind him of the fundamental principles of imaan leading him to a better death and place in the Hereafter.