Part 5

Ayah 13:

This begins the second passage of Ya-Sin. We need to understand the historical context for its revelation before proceeding further.

This was revealed to the Messenger of Allaah pbuh during the Makkan period and at the height of the opposition from the Makkans. A lot of time in the city had passed, so this was nearing his final days in Makkah. He pbuh has delivered the message to the people in several ways like Nuh 'alayhi as-salaam to his people (71, 5-15) publicly, privately, individually, giving them incentives. Yet, even with all of these efforts (71, 6)

فلم يزدهم دعائي إلا فرارا

But my invitation increased them not except in flight.

They would put their fingers in their ears, cover their faces when he would come to them, they would be insistent and arrogant and brush off Nuh 'alayhi as-salaam. This situation was similar to that of the Messenger of Allaah pbuh when these verses was to be revealed. The Makkans wanted nothing to do with him pbuh and his message. They had complete apathy and became engaged in anti-da'wah; they were violent and aggressive towards those who were giving heed to the message.

It was like Allaah tells us (41, 26)

وقال الذين كفروا لا تسمعوا لهذا القرآن والغوا فيه لعلكم تغلبون

And those who disbelieve say, "Do not listen to this Qur'aan and speak noisily during [the recitation of] it that perhaps you will overcome."

They've made it personal to defeat the Messenger of Allaah pbuh in his message.

At this point, Allaah is giving them a powerful reminder. To make someone realize the errors of their ways when they have been numbed by the warnings and advice, direct them to the situations of real examples. The horrific consequences that others have faced when they did not pay heed. Give these people the example of a people of a town that came before. The same thing may happen to these people as well if they do not correct their corrupt ways.

واضرب لهم مثلا أصحاب القرية إذ جاءها المرسلون

And present to them an example: the people of the city, when the messengers came to it -

Strike for them an example - give an example for them (the Quraysh).

Lahum means make this story of a people of a town previously relevant to these people. This is an implicit evidence that even when Allaah speak of disbelievers in the Qur'aan, even the Muslims should take heed. Ibn Abbaas said that in the aayaat directed to the disbelievers there is relevance for the believers. They ought to recognize these traits and tendencies and search for them within themselves. If they find them, it is a sign of disbelief and a sign to correct their ways.

Of the people of a town when messengers have come to them. There's much discussion in tafasir about this "town". Many mention the town of Intaqiyyah. It was an ancient city. These messengers, in their opinion, were not prophets but the disciples of 'Isa/Jesus 'alayhi as-salaam. Ibn Kathir has a detailed discussion about the authenticity of these narrations. We don't really need to get into this discussion. It is more important to see what message we can draw from these aayaat.

Ayah 14:

إذ أرسلنا إليهم اثنين فكذبوهما فعززنا بثالث فقالوا إنا إليكم مرسلون

Iz arsalnaaa ilaihimusnaini fakazzaboohumaa fa'azzaznaa bisaalisin faqaalooo innaaa ilaikum mursaloon

When we sent to them two but they denied them, so We strengthened them with a third, and they said, "Indeed, we are messengers to you."

Idh is like saying "remember way back when". First, Allaah sent two messengers to them. They rejected them. Takdhib means they called them liars. Everything they were given was called bogus.

Ta'ziz literally means to strengthen, to firm. Allaah says He reaffirmed the messengers with a third to reaffirm and strenghten their confidence and the message being delivered.

Their primary message was that most definitely we have been sent specifically to you. There is abnormal sentence structure here indicating that there is exclusivity.

Ayah 15:

قالوا ما أنتم إلا بشر مثلنا وما أنزل الرحمن من شيء إن أنتم إلا تكذبون

Qaaloo maaa antum illaa basharum mislunaa wa maaa anzalar Rahmaanu min shai'in in antum illaa takziboon

They said, "You are not but human beings like us, and the Most Merciful has not revealed a thing. You are only tellings lies."

You people are nothing but people just like us. This has always been the primary criticism of all messengers throughout time when they've come to deliver the message to people.

Like the Quraysh when they said (25, 7)

وقالوا مال هذا الرسول يأكل الطعام ويمشي في الأسواق لولا أنزل إليه ملك فيكون معه نذيرا

And they say, "What is this messenger that eats food and walks in the markets? Why was there not sent down to him an angel so he would be with him a warner?

This is the natural pride, ego of the human being: the aversion to authority. Even if Allaah would have sent an Angel down with the message, they would not have believed. According to them, the Angel would be a supernatural being unable to understand the situation of the human being. That is there situation.

There very first objection was: the messengers are people just like us.

And this Ar-Rahman you speak of (remember the name was mentioned in verse 11), He has not sent down anything. You (all three of you) are nothing but lying to us.

Ayah 16:

قالوا ربنا يعلم إنا إليكم لمرسلون

Qaaloo Rabbunaa ya'lamu innaaa ilaikum lamursaloon

They said, "Our Lord knows that we are messengers to you,"

The messengers now speak in response to the people of the town: Our Lord, He knows that most definitely we have been sent specifically for you people.

Their statement here is very profound. What did they use as evidence?

We know that messengers would receive miracles as evidence as well. They, however, did not respond with miracles. Just like how the Messenger of Allaah pbuh did not respond to people with miracles. Remember when 'Utbah bin Walid came to the Messenger of Allaah and asked him what he wanted (wealth? fame? women?). In response the Messenger of Allaah pbuh recited the verses of Surat'l-Fussilat. Until he reached the point of sajdah performed it and then walked away from 'Utbah who was left gobsmacked. The people saw him when he returned and said that he is not coming back with the face he left with. He advised them to leave the way because this would be a powerful storm.

We shouldn't rely upon supernatural things to prove our point. Our message is enough evidence for us.