Part 7

Ayah 20:

This passage is essentially the core of this surah, the central theme. It is one of the most powerful messages of this surah in aayaat 20-25.

وجاء من أقصى المدينة رجل يسعى قال يا قوم اتبعوا المرسلين

Wa jaaa'a min aqsal madeenati rajuluny yas'aa qaala yaa qawmit tabi'ul mursaleen

And there came from the farthest end of the city a man, running. He said, "O my people, follow the messengers."

Now the confrontation or situation has reached a very critical point (the townspeople are accusing, slandering, and becoming violent and the messengers will not stoop down, but will hold firm to their responsibility).

Yas'aa| Word Analysis

The messengers are delivering the message to a disbelieving people, but there is a man. He is not even from the same vicinity. In fact, he is from the farthest end of town and he is coming from there if that's what it takes to get to the message. Not only that, but he's rushing.

Yas'aa is from sa'i meaning to rush towards something when you have a target or a goal. He's a man on a mission.

Itabi'u| Word Analysis

The said, "O my people, follow those who have been sent."

Itaba' means to listen attentively with an open mind and heart, to internalize the message, and then to spread it to others. This is the word used whenever we are told to "follow the messengers" like when Allaah commands His Messenger pbuh to say (3, 31)

قل إن كنتم تحبون الله فاتبعوني يحببكم الله ويغفر لكم ذنوبكم والله غفور رحيم

Say, [O Muhammad], "If you should love Allaah, then ittab'iuni (= follow me) so that Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Ghafurun Rahimun."

Following the messengers is what is key. Islaam, the core, basic tenets of it came to us from the Qur'aan. But the practical structure, the framework, practice of, implementation of Islaam comes from the Messenger of Allaah pbuh. Otherwise, it all remains theory.

This man has not just said to follow them, but he has presented evidence. The mufassirun say he is providing three pieces of information.

1. They are al-mursalin. Meaning they've been sent to us by Allaah. They are not ordinary people, they've come from a higher authority, the ultimate authority.

2. & 3. may be found in Verse 21

Ayah 21:

اتبعوا من لا يسألكم أجرا وهم مهتدون

Ittabi'oo mal-laa yas'alukum ajranw-wa hum muhtadoon

Follow those who do not ask of you [any] payment, and they are [rightly] guided.

This man has not just said to follow them, but he has presented evidence. The mufassirun say he is providing three pieces of evidence to follow them.

1. (From Verse 20) They are al-mursalin. Meaning they've been sent to us by Allaah. They are not ordinary people, they've come from a higher authority, the ultimate authority.