Part 8

Ayah 24:

إني إذا لفي ضلال مبين

Innee izal-lafee dalaa-lim-mubeen

Indeed, I would then be in manifest error.

If he were to do this (Verse 23, Should I take other than Allaah [false] deities [while], if the Most Merciful intends for me some adversity, their intercession will not avail me at all, nor can they save me?), then most definitely he would be in that situation, would be in very serious, open, clear misguidance.

Fi| Word Analysis

Fi means to be inside something. When Allaah speaks about misguidance, He uses this preposition fi. It connotates being inside something, as in a bubble that does not permit them to see outside of it. Everywhere he looks, he will only see more misguidance. Thus, it is as if he is drowning in misguidance.

Mubin| Word Analysis

Mubin was previously used in Verse 17 to mean the self-clarifying message. This man is telling them that if he himself refused, resisted, and was arrogant and stubborn against the message then he would be in a very clear misguidance. There is sharp contrast between there being self-clarifying message and clear, distinct misguidance.

Ayah 25:

إني آمنت بربكم فاسمعون

Inneee aamantu bi Rabbikum fasma'oon

Indeed, I have believed in your Lord, so listen to me."

In this final verse, the man says something very powerful. He makes a proclamation to the people with confidence and firm stance. He openly declares his support for these messengers and their message.

Aamantu| Word Analysis

I have already believed.

It is in the past tense. Meaning it is so certain and true that he has brought belief before now.

Birabbikum| Word Analysis

In your Lord.

This is directed at the townspeople. Why would he use the second person possessive pronoun? You are not willing to believe in him, you are being arrogant and ungrateful, but regardless He is your Lord. I have believed in him so listen to what I am telling you. This is for your own good. He is not speaking to them for any personal benefit, but only for their own good.

Instrumental Lesson

The messengers were preaching the message. The townspeople were disregarding and desisting the message and behaving violently with the messengers. A man from, not there nor a witness feeling empathy for the messengers, but from the farthest regions of town comes forth. He hears about the message, understands it, believes in it, and understands his own responsibility. He mobilizes himself and takes it upon himself to rush to voice his support and provide his backing to the messengers.

This is speaking to us about our roles. This is Makkan Qur'aan. This is especially for us who are living in a Muslim minority area where we see more and more scrutinization and criticism.