So when they forget that by which they had been reminded, We opened to them the doors of every [good] thing until, when they rejoiced in that which they were given, We seized them suddenly and they were [then] in despair.

The message came again and again to remind them that they should be grateful and obedient to their Lord, realize their real pupose in life. Their end, however, is completely bankrupt and hopeless. They are held accountable and should not live in delusions.

They may have had time and blessing in the dunya, but now they must separate.

This is the third time that al-yawm has been mentioned in this passage. this is very rare. The reason why it is used is to make us picture the situation as if it is happening right here, right now. Imagine yourself in a group of people, seeing the gates of Paradise and the gates of Hellfire before you now. It all comes down to this moment, this day. Now, criminals separate yourselves from the others. Imagine thinking that you are one of those people. You'll try to hide yourself and be among the others. But it will be to no avail because Allaah knows what's even in the hearts of man.

Mujrim | Word Analysis

Not just a criminal, but a convicted, sentenced criminal. The one who has done something wrong and now must serve the consequences.

And now Allaah will tell us why this is happening. This is the blessing of the Qur'aan. Sometimes when someone does something wrong and is told to pay the penalty. That person often thinks, "If I knew it was going to be this bad, I wouldn't have done it." Subhana Allaah, Allaah is telling us how bad it is going to be out of His mercy. To warn us.

There is no vengence. Our Lord is so merciful, He has given us every opportunity. At the end of the day there must be some responsibility on our part. It can be analogous to a person being told he has a test in seven days and given the answer key to memorize in six days. No one can call that teacher merciless at the end. It would be ridiculous to say such a thing. Allaah has given us all the answers and told us everything in advance to read, understand and implement.

If we don't take the wisdom, then there is no one to blame but ourselves.

Ayah 60:

ألم أعهد إليكم يا بني آدم أن لا تعبدوا الشيطان إنه لكم عدو مبين

Did I not enjoin upon you, O children of Adam, that you not worship Satan - [for] indeed, he is to you a clear enemy -

Allaah addresses the criminals now. "Had I not entrusted to you (given to you the responsibility), O children of Adam?"

What was entrusted? What was the responsibility?

To not worship Shaytaan.

'Ibadaah | Word Analysis

It is translated as worship, but it literally means to willingly become a slave of something. So don't become a slave or devotee of Shaytaan and his system. This is a path based upon arrogance, defiance, disobedience. Shaytaan refused to bow down because (7, 12)

قال ما منعك ألا تسجد إذ أمرتك قال أنا خير منه خلقتني من نار وخلقته من طين

[Allaah] said, "What prevented you from prostrating when I commanded you?" [Shaytaan] said, "I am better than him. You created me from fire and created him from clay."

He was unapologetic, not remorseful for what he had done. Then, even further (38, 82)

قال فبعزتك لأغوينهم أجمعين

[Iblis] said, "By Your might, I will surely mislead them all"
and (7, 17)

ثم لآتينهم من بين أيديهم ومن خلفهم وعن أيمانهم وعن شمائلهم ولا تجد أكثرهم شاكرين

Then I will come to them from before them and from behind them and on their right and on their left, and You will not find most of them grateful [to You]."

The Qur'aan develops obedience within us. Shukr/Thankfulness is a direct result of the reminder of the Qur'aan and becoming grateful makes us obedient. It makes it easy for us to devote ourselves. Shaytaan's problem was that he was not grateful and falling into his schemes and deception is to become ungrateful.

Why should we be wary of Shaytaan?

He is for us (especially for us because lakum is early in the phrase) a clear, known, open enemy. Shaytaan is not hiding his animosity towards us. He will have a discussion with the people of Hellfire (14, 22)

وقال الشيطان لما قضي الأمر إن الله وعدكم وعد الحق ووعدتكم فأخلفتكم وما كان لي عليكم من سلطان إلا أن دعوتكم فاستجبتم لي فلا تلوموني

ولوموا أنفسكم ما أنا بمصرخكم وما أنتم بمصرخي إني كفرت بما أشركتمون من قبل إن الظالمين لهم عذاب أليم

And Shaytaan will say when the matter has been concluded, "Indeed, Allaah had promised you the promise of truth. And I promised you, but I betrayed you. But I had no authority over you except that I invited you and you responded to me. So do not blame me; but blame yourselves. I cannot be called to your aid, nor can you be called to my aid. Indeed, I deny your association of me [with Allaah] before. Indeed, for the wrongdoers is a painful punishment."

Hasan al-Basri described this scene as if Shaytaan is the khatib in the Hellfire and the people are all surronding him. When everything is said and done and they have all been doomed to Jahannam. He merely made recommendations. You bought into his marketing. Don't blame him, but blame yourselves.

The Prophets told us that Shaytaan is our enemy. Look around us, the people who are following the life Shaytaan is pedaling are miserable. They have small, temporary moments of pleasure. Overwhelming, however, they lack contentment, peace, and tranquility.

The happiness and peace we feel when fasting and standing in tarawih, they don't feel it.

So what had Allaah wanted us to do?

Ayah 61:

وأن اعبدوني هذا صراط مستقيم

And that you worship [only] Me This is a straight path.

Allaah wanted for us to devote and dedicate ourselves in worship to Him. To completely live to please Allaah.

What does that entail?

Humility. Realizing that we know nothing and we have nothing, but Allaah knows everything and has given us everything.

Gratitude. To show Allaah that we are grateful for everything He has given us.

This is a straight path.

Hadha| Word Analysis

This is ism'l-ishara - it is a pointing word. It is for that which is near (dhalika is for that which is far). The implication of it being near is that it's so near and attainable. It's so easy to reach forward and grab.

It is a straight path. It is so natural. Our fitrah tells us to be obedient to Allaah. It is easy.

To leave the easy and go for that which is disobedient is difficult and less accessible. It is rough and has more consequences.