23 | wouldn't you like to know?

x

"I loved you."

"No. You loved the idea of me."

x

I lost track of time once the high washed over me. Instead, nausea racked my stomach.

My sharp senses seemed to spiral and the world started to spin. I clutched my stomach and tried to steady myself in the chair but it seemed to be shaking with me.

"Oh my god," Gloria snickered in glee. "She's trembling."

"Gloria," Shannon snapped, rushing to her feet. "Why did you give her such a strong dose on her first try?"

"Oops," Gloria said with a sly smile.

My stomach lurched when another wave of nausea flushed over. Jesus, they really added something to these.

"It's only this bad the first few times," Helen said, quietly. Her eyes were squeezed close in relief from the pills. "The feeling that hits will take over– if you let it."

"I-" I coughed out, feeling everything rebel in me. "What did you do to me?"

"Don't worry," Blake lazily smirked. "It'll wear off... eventually."

I stood, but that was too abrupt of a motion, so I stumbled through the room. Everything was so blurry that I didn't even realize that I was holding myself up against the door frame to steady myself.

I needed to get out of here.

I could feel the danger approaching me.

"You really are in a hurry. Don't you want to play the game?" Cole smiled coldly, thoroughly enjoying the way I was breaking down slowly. "Drink or Tell."

His nose was bandaged from Avery breaking it earlier. I wasn't surprised he had it taken care of so quickly. He could afford it.

Now, I wish I had let Avery hit him a couple more times. 

"She can't even walk in a straight line," Kalina countered, sympathy in her eyes. She didn't care enough to do more than to verbally defend me. "You better hope Avery doesn't fuck you up for this."

"Oh, but I didn't do anything, did I?" Cole chuckled. His implication was clear.

They would all pay for this sooner or later.

"Vesper," Shannon hurried over to me. She reached for my wrist but I flinched and pulled away. Guilt filled her eyes. "I'll help you."

"I... don't ever want your help ever again," I managed. I would have never said these words out loud if it weren't for the pills and I realized I didn't regret them as much as I should have.

Shannon stepped back as if I were the one who harmed her. "I really didn't mean for this to get this far."

My hands fumbled for the door but my eyes were shuttering close, my body trembling. I wasn't going to make it out of here.

Just as my legs gave away, the doors slammed open and strong arms lifted me up to a chest. I knew instantly who it was.

Avery Dragomir.

"What the hell did you do to her?" The voice sounded like it was underwater but I could hear the unmistakable undertone of fury. "Shannon?"

"I'm sorry," she said, voice breaking.

Avery's hand smoothed the hair plastered to my forehead. I could feel the anger rising in Avery. When he got angry, he got reckless. "What happened?"

"Relax," Mason soothed. "It's just the pills. You know the stash stays here."