Chapter 12 : The Accident

Start from the beginning

"You know I can't say no to him." Jin's expression changed when he heard what I said to him. "I'm going. I have already been waiting for you for 2 hours. I need to do my homework." I said and was about to leave when he spoke. "Drink some cup of tea first." I looked at him surprised at what he had just said. I didn't know but there was something inside me that felt so happy when he invited me to drink a tea inside, maybe because I'm yearning for a brother's love and care.. I nodded and agreed to go inside his apartment.

Jin entered his apartment and I followed him. "You can sit on the couch." He was busy arranging his things. I nodded, then sat down, I placed my bag beside me and looked around the place. It looks cozy and neat. His apartment suits him, perfect for a future doctor.

Jin walked to me holding a tray with two tea cups and a little kettle. He placed the tray on the table slowly and started to pour the tea. "Have you eaten yet?" He asked, still busy pouring the tea. "I haven't." I whispered. "Here take a sip of this hot tea first." He said, signaling me to drink the tea. "I still have some left over cake here do you want to try some?" He looked at me waiting for my answer. "O- Okay." I replied still feeling awkward.

Jin placed the cake on the table and started sipping his tea. No one wants to start a conversation. I'm trying to steal some glances while eating the cake, I can see he's fidgeting and keeps on coughing while sipping his tea. "Are you sick?" I asked cautiously. "No I'm perfectly fine, I just need to drink some tea and this will go away." He replied, touching his throat. "Okay." I replied.

Everything became awkward again. I could feel that he was staring at me. I tried to glance at him and saw him drinking his tea while staring at me, and our eyes met. Jin accidentally choked and spilled his tea. "Are you okay?" I asked with concern on my face. Jin hurriedly composed himself, then nodded.

20 minutes have passed and guess what? Yes, you're right. Still no progress at all. We stayed silent for the whole damn time. I finished eating the cake, then stated, "I should go home now, it's already late." Jin looked at me then nodded. "Well b- be careful on your way home." I looked at him, then nodded. "Thank you for the cake and tea." I picked up my bag then headed outside. Jin followed me. "Take care and thank you for bringing the books here." I looked at him once again, then nodded. Jin slightly smiled then closed the door.

I started walking down his apartment and when I finally reached the street, I looked back at his place. I can say that he really looks mature now. He doesn't look young anymore, but his actions still speak differently. One thing still remains though; the coldness of our relationship. I don't know if he has changed for the better now. Jin and I are not close enough to be called brothers. I don't know why. Maybe because of the gap in our ages? Maybe because the attention of our parents came to me when I was born. Maybe he doesn't want to have a sibling? Or maybe he just doesn't like me to be called his little brother. Like, our relationship was strained to the point that he needed to lure me out when I was a kid so that I would get lost. It was rough for me growing up, seeing my own brother demise me. My mind was full of thoughts while I walked off the street. It was around 10:30 pm and most of the stores that I passed by were already closed. I'm thinking about whether I should call Secretary Nam so that he can fetch me or just wait for the bus. I don't even know if there are still buses at this hour. I looked around and tried to walk further. Several people were walking and some cars were passing by at their full speed. They can drive as fast as they want because there are no police in this area. I checked my phone and decided to text Secretary Nam to fetch me, since there are no trace of buses in this area anymore. I was slowly pressing the icons on the screen when I heard a loud screech of the car behind me.

It was followed by a loud honk, I saw a black car suddenly stop in the middle of the road and saw a girl flying within the distance. I was overwhelmed and startled by what I was seeing right now. I didn't know what to do at first. I was waiting for the person inside the car to step outside and help the girl who was lying on the ground motionless. After a few minutes, the black car started the engine again and left the girl alone on the road. I quickly glanced around the place to check if there were other people who had seen what happened but I found no one. I decided to go and check for the girl who was not moving since she was hit by the car.

As I walked forward, I saw she was wearing the same uniform as I was. I tried to check her pulse but I didn't feel anything, I wanted to move her body to the other side of the street so that I could fully check her. However, I'm not an expert at this kind of thing and I don't want to make the case worse if I tried to move her. I moved closer to her and moved my face on top of hers to check if she was still breathing. I froze when I noticed that she was not breathing at all. Fear embraced me as the cold wind touches my back, which is dripping in cold sweat now. I looked at her once again. I don't know why I couldn't seem to breathe, she was too young to die..

A memory of the past suddenly filters through my mind. It's scary. It haunts me. I don't want to experience that again.. Not with her. What would her family feel, her friends, her classmates? They would grief in pain if this girl would die tonight. I didn't notice my hands were shaking so badly right then. I screamed so loudly to ask for help but there was no response. I tried to check my phone and tried to contact Secretary Nam but he didn't pick up, I was about to dial 1-1-9 when I saw Jin's number on the list. I didn't know if I should press the call button or just dial 119. I glanced at the motionless body of the girl lying beside me and pressed the call button without hesitation. One, two, and three, it took three rings, then he finally answered. "Hello." Just hearing his voice makes me feel at ease. "Ca-can you help me?" I stammer while saying those words. "Where are you?" I can feel the concern with his voice. "I – Im here so – someone needs help pl- please come here now." I tried to speak as calm as possible. "I'm coming now don't go anywhere."

After a few minutes, Jin came running. I saw his expression change when he saw the motionless body of the girl beside me. "What happened?" He slightly pushed me then started examining the girl. "Is she still alive?" I asked. He didn't reply. He moved his face closer to her to see if she was still breathing. I saw his face grimacing after doing that. He placed his hands on her chest and started pumping. "One, two." He was trying to revive her. The first attempt was unsuccessful. "Is she okay?" I asked worriedly while calling an ambulance. "One, two." He tried it again the second time. He gasped for air, then yelled. "Where are they?" I looked at him dumbfounded. "What?"

"The ambulance. Where are they?" He shouted like he was already giving up from reviving her. " They're coming." I blurted out. Jin started to revive her again and, for the 4th time, Jin stopped and lay down laughing like a creep while catching his breath. "Are you okay?" I asked. He nodded then looked at me tiredly. "Your friend is safe in danger now." I tiredly limped my body on the road, knowing that she was already out of danger. I glanced at Jin who was breathing heavily, staring at the sky. "You can stay at my place for tonight." He blurted out. I didn't reply and just stared at him. "Only if you want." He added embarrassedly. "It's not safe out here. Look what happened to her." He added.

The sound of the siren of the ambulance and the police echoed throughout the street. The rescuers carefully examined and held the girl to the stretcher. Jin was the one who was talking to them explaining what happened while I was invited to go to the precinct to provide a statement about the accident. I walked to Jin and informed him that I needed to go to the precinct to provide a statement. Jin nodded in agreement and said that he would call Secretary Nam to fetch me after.

"Hyung thank you." I blurted out before I went inside the police car. I saw Jin's eyes lit up when I called him Hyung. That was the first time that I called him Hyung again, after 11 years.

Note: Hello, I've been revising and updating the other chapters here. I originally planned to do a fanfic on YouTube which needed some script and so on but I ended up publishing it here.XD That's why I needed to revise some words/things. Feel free to read it again if you have time. Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. <3