chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

"Food first or the activity first?"

"What is the activity?"

"Secret Santa! Yes, Jeno, I know it's not Christmas."

"Why are we doing this?"

"'Cause it's fun and I want a gift. Now here." Chenle snatches the beanie off of Jisungs head, causing him to grimace. "Jisung volunteered his own beanie for us to pick names."

You're lucky I love you, Jisung thinks as he looks at his boyfriend. Instead of saying it, he kisses his cheek and smirks when Chenle's cheeks turn pink.

"Focus!"

"Not on Jisung, Chenle."

The male sighs and holds out the beanie towards the male. Haechan grabs a slip of paper and steps back so he can look at it.

After everyone gets their paper and looks at it, they all look at each other while trying not to reveal their person.

"So we're not completely lonely, everyone pick a partner."

No one moves for a movement but then Jeno sighs and shuffles over to Jisung and holds out his hand. Jisung chuckles and takes it, the two smirking at Chenle, who rolls his eyes as he moves over to Haechan and Jaemin.

"Who's going with who?" Mark asks, seeing as there's only them left.

Haechan glances at Jaemin, who avoids eye contact. The brunet forces a smile on his face that eases when he realizes he's just with Mark and he doesn't mind him.

Jaemin opens his mouth to speak, to apologize, to say anything to ease the tension. But he can't, not yet, not when he doesn't feel prepared enough to break his heart more.

He intertwines his fingers with Chenles and pulls the male away, a heavy weight settling in his chest as from the realization of one of the rudest things he's ever done to Haechan. And the fact that he doesn't completely care either.

Sensing the negativity taking over, Chenle squeezes Jaemins hand. He looks around and doesn't think twice to pull Jaemin over to the milkshake kiosk.

"I'll pay for it", Jaemin offers.

"No, you will not", Chenle says as he takes his card out of his wallet.

Jaemin pouts at him when he's not looking. He turns to the menu, giving into the male.

The two stand off to the side while their drinks are being made. Usually Chenle would lean on the person next to him but he feels Jaemin could use the comfort more so he gently guides his head to his shoulder.

"Am I being mean?" Jaemin mumbles so quietly Chenle's not sure he's talking to him.

"Baby, no one is nice all the time. We have more feelings than that. And you're allowed to be upset, that doesn't change who you are. You can get mad at me and I'll still love you. Your feelings aren't unfair. They are literally what you feel."

"Then why does it feel wrong?"

Chenle caresses the back of Jaemins head, wanting him to feel completely at comfort before asking, "Did someone teach you this? That having these feelings is wrong?"

"I'm supposed to make people happy."

Chenle opens his mouth to speak but the worker slides their drinks at them. He quickly picks up the two and goes over to a table to place them down for turning to Jaemin and grabbing his face, slightly squishing his cheeks.

"You do make people happy. You make me happy, you make Jisung happy, you make Haechan happy, Mark already loves you, and even Jeno is on his way to learn how amazing you are. You are so loved. And it's not because you never feel anything that's not positive, it's because we just love you. Nothing is gonna change that, okay?"