"...To me, Christmas Eve is just December twenty-fourth. I don't have any fond memories of it."

But for Octavia, who had grown up in a troubled home, Christmas was nothing special, just another hard day.

"...Then, let's eat. Don't be shy, this is something I like to do."

Maebayashi understood what she was going through. Then he picked up his knife and fork and began to eat. There was an appetizer on the table and the same plate in front of Octavia as the one Maebayashi had started eating.

"...Let's see..."

She looked at the several knives and forks on either side of the plate and wondered which one to use first. Maebayashi noticed this and taught her to use them from the outside. She took the knife and fork in an unfamiliar manner and tried to eat as elegantly as she could.

"...!"

She brought the appetizer of marinated seafood and vegetables to her mouth. At that moment, Octavia's face broke into a smile. Then, her elegant manner peeled off, and she took the second and third mouthfuls one after the other.

"Heh, if you eat so hurriedly, you'll choke."

"...!!"

Maebayashi was smiling at the girl who was absorbed in the food served in front of her without any manners. When he called out to her, Octavia came to her senses and blushed. Then, when Maebayashi confirmed that she has finished her appetizer, he got up from his chair and lowered his and Octavia's plates. He then placed a bowl of sopa de ajo on a long table nearby in front of her.

"Uh, Satoru, so..."

"...Hm?"

Octavia sat down in the chair again, picked up the spoon, and spoke to Maebayashi with trepidation. She stepped into the main subject that had called Maebayashi to her. Maebayashi did not read her mind, but waited for her to speak on her own.

"...Can you buy spring with money!?"

"...Pfft-GAH!? Why did you say that?"

Shocked by the unexpected words she uttered, Maebayashi couldn't help but spit his soup. While he wiped his mouth with a napkin, Octavia continued.

"Aren't all Japanese people filthy rich?"

"No, that's not—"

The image of Japan as wealthy that is prevalent in this era simply means that there is a disparity in economic power between countries, not that they are all rich on an individual level. Maebayashi quickly denied her words. Octavia continued her explanation with her face downcast.

"I thought I could help my sister if I could uncover the embassy's wrongdoings. But my sister is carrying something that could not be put away by such simple logic."

"........."

When she told her sister that she would escape with her, Octavia realized how shallow she was. She realized for the first time that eliminating the embassy would not solve the root of the problem.

"My sister is making money for my sake... by defiling her body and putting up with it. But I thought that if only the embassy was eliminated, everything would be resolved and she would be happy. But... it wasn't that simple. I was not ready. I want to expose the embassy's evil and escape with my sister. That thought hasn't changed, okay? But I didn't think about what came after."

Her family depended on the income her sister Agustina brought home from the embassy. Without it, of course, she would not be able to make ends meet, and the loss of drug and alcohol money could make her stepfather's violence even worse. She therefore suggested that her sister run away, but that was just a short-sighted suggestion that did not consider the future.

"My sister said she doesn't want to put me through any more hardship. But I don't want to see my sister suffer anymore either. But in order to do that, I have to bear the hardship too. Even if I have to do the same thing as my sister."

"...!!"

Octavia looked up and stared into Maebayashi's eyes. He had refrained from reading her mind, and Maebayashi finally realized why she had called him here.

"So... that's why—"

"........."

Just as Octavia was about to say that much, Maebayashi put his index finger to his lips in a gesture of silence. Then, as if to interrupt what she was about to say, he opened his mouth with a troubled smile.

"...Sorry, but I'm not the kind of man you expect me to be. You'll have to ask someone with a more 'clean heart' to do that kind of thing."

"...Huh?"

Octavia looked puzzled.

"I'm done talking. This meal is going to get cold."

Maebayashi urged her to proceed with the meal and said nothing more. Octavia could not say anything either, and the only sound she could hear was the scraping of the knife and fork.

"...You're very kind, Satoru," Octavia muttered to herself.

And so the night of Christmas Eve passed between the Japanese yōkai and the Catalan girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 26

Barcelona-El Prat Airport, Republic of Catalonia

Thirteen Japanese people disembarked at Barcelona-El Prat Airport via Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. Dressed in expensive-looking suits and carrying large luggage, the group of Orientals attracted the eyes of those around them.

"So this is Catalonia and Barcelona..."

Chief Inspector Raigo Nakamine, who was leading the group, muttered to himself as he looked around. They were a group from the International Crime Prevention and Control Division of the National Police Agency's Security Bureau, who had been dispatched to the region at the request of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The International Crime Prevention and Control Division of the NPA's Security Bureau is a paramilitary task force organized for the safety of Japanese nationals operating overseas. In the past century, it was basically impossible to conduct police activities in the territory of another country without the approval of that country, since such activities violated the sovereignty of that country. However, in this era, the majority of countries have entrusted the security forces of the International Federation to maintain domestic security, and it is stipulated that any country that provides troops to the security forces has the authority to carry out security activities in the territory of the relevant country. Therefore, the Japanese police force has the authority to conduct investigations in the Republic of Catalonia without the need for authorization or permission from the country.

"Come on..."

The strong men left the airport and headed for Barcelona, carrying their large luggage, including the firearms and other equipment they had brought with them from Japan. Unbeknownst to the Catalan government, a capture plot was about to begin to cover up Japan's disgrace.