Sleepover

Y/N's Pov

As we were walking out of the sandlot, we heard footsteps walking toward us. I could only make out a slight figure of a guy just taller than me. As he came closer, the light from the street lamp lit up his features. The dark hair and hazel eyes, and the very present frown on his face. 

"Benny?"

I ask cautiously. As I walk toward him, he starts to move closer. Once, I am right in front of him he immediately engulfs me in a hug. I wrap my arms around his torso and feel him sink into my shoulder and start to cry. I pull him in even more and he gladly lets me. 

"Hey, hey, hey. What's wrong?" 

I ask him stroking his hair. 

"I'm so sorry."

He mumbles into my shirt. 

"I am so so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry!" 

"Ok. Ok, that's ok." 

I pull back just for a second and look back at the group full of confused stares. I tell them to start walking back and tell Lisa I'll meet her at her house. They are hesitant at first to leave, but nod and walk farther down the road. I lead Benny onto the field and into the dugout. He takes a seat and I sit next to him.  

"Would you like to tell me what's going on? In complete sentences...maybe?"

"She was lying to me the entire time!"

"Who? Michelle?"

"Yeah..."

"You are upset because you found out that she was in fact lying to you?"

"Yeah, I know. You guys have been trying to tell me for a while. And I am so sorry for not believing you guys."

"What happened?"

"She told me she was the reason that Tommy got hurt, and that she hurt you! God, Y/n, I am so sorry!" 

"I uh-" 

"And I let her say those awful things to you guys! I was so wrapped up in her lies! For the past couple of months, I have believed everything she said to me even before we started going out together. How could I be so stupid?" 

"I know a couple ways-"

"Is Tommy ok? Was he hurt really bad? How bad did she hurt you? Shit! I even told my mom about her, how could she do this to me?" 

He dropped his head and you could see his shoulders shake with his tears. I wanted to be mad, but I feel so bad. But, I also want to feel bad, but I am still mad. I really don't have anything to say. I've known this entire time that she was lying, this is his time to process now, not mine. 

I don't know what to do. I feel bad that I don't. 

"Come on."

I say standing up and holding my hand out. This is probably a really bad idea. I start walking out of the dugout before he can even object to what I am about to do. I grab my bat right before I exit, and as I am walking out  I hear the creak of the bench and know that he is not far behind me. 

Home plate was just outside the dugout, so I wasn't walking for long. I stopped at the clay-covered plate and turned around to face him. I hold my bat out to him and gesture for him to take it. 

"Swing."

"What?"

"Take the damn bat and swing it. At the ground, at the air, at me. I don't care. Just take the bat and swing it, Benny. Really, really hard."