19. delayed

"Y'all fucked" Aubrey yelled in my ear through my AirPods.

"No, Aubrey. We did not."

I was currently in the airport waiting for my flight to board. My dad stayed here with me until about 10 minutes ago, when he decided it was time for him to leave. We were supposed to be boarding in about 7 minutes.

"So it was his birthday, and y'all didn't fuck" she squinted her eyes. "I don't know, Kiari. Don't sound believable to me."

"Well, bitch, I don't know what to tell you."

We talked a little more before they called for us to begin boarding. "Talk to you later. I love you. Be safe, baby. Let me know when you land" Aubrey said, hanging up.

I grabbed my carryon and threw it over my shoulder, standing to board. Once I boarded, I sat in my window seat, with nobody between me and the person in the aisle. I mentally thanked God, before playing my music and getting ready for takeoff. Once we got high enough in the air, I began to doze off.

We landed in Chicago for our nearly four hour layover. I grabbed my bag from overhead and got off, going to find something to eat. I didn't eat before I left from the Austin airport because it was so early, but now that I've been awake for 7 hours, I'm getting a little hungry.

I didn't see anything that looked appealing to me, so I just settled for Einstein Bro's. After ordering my bagel sandwich and blended coffee, I sat down to call Devin. While I waited for him to pickup, I sent a text to my dad, letting him know that I made it to Chicago.

"Wassup, mama" he croaked.

"Did I wake you?"

"Yeah, but it's cool. Wassup?"

"Just landed in Chicago. I'm here for nearly four hours."

"You want me to sit in the phone with you" he asked rolling over to the other side of his bed.

"You don't have to if you don't want to." He nodded propping me up on a pillow as he went back to sleep. I took screenshots of him as they called my name to retrieve my order. I went back to my terminal and sat down by myself. I pulled my laptop from my carryon and began bingeing 'Married At First Sight'.

The airport was extremely cold, so this hoodie that I stole from Devin was keeping my arms warm, but my legs were freezing through my jeans. It was also snowing in Chicago, so that didn't make it much better. I reached in my carryon to grab my denim jacket to put over my hoodie.

"Is anyone sitting here?"

I looked up to see a red head girl with a coffee in her hand. I shook my head and she took the seat.

"I'm Alex, by the way."

"Kiari." Devin stirred a little bit in his sleep at the sound of my conversation.

"My flight got delayed, so I'm here for at least another two hours" she said sighing.

I looked up at the board to see that my flight was indeed delayed. I let out a frustrated sigh. I wasn't in a rush to get back to Michigan, but I didn't want to spend my whole day in the airport.

"Are you from here" I asked her.

"D.C., but I go to Loyola. I'm just going home for the holidays. Probably gonna miss my connector though."

I reached into my carryon to grab my blanket, draping it over my legs. I would have gone out to see the city, specifically the bean that everyone talks about, but I don't want to walk in the snow.

I sighed, getting comfortable.