Vol 1 - Chapter 5: Keyaki Mall

After Ryuuen nabbed most of the winnings I should have received from the betting, he had made sure to thoroughly mock me as he basked in the glory of his minor win.

Just as he promised when we teamed up, he was looking to crush me.

Though the damage he dealt today was minimal, merely decreasing my profits, it was certainly inconvenient. While I do have the mental resilience to cope with such things on a regular basis, that doesn't mean I should let it slide.

If I hadn't already generated a fund of 2'000'000 points from other sources, I would be rather dissatisfied with my current position.

To prevent this from happening in the future, I couldn't allow Ryuuen to be the sole authority in the classroom. Instead of being just an influential member of the class, I'd also need several people under my direct command.

"Ayanokouji-kun, what are you spacing out for?"

I was currently being accompanied by three girls; Manabe Shiho, Yamashita Saki, and Yabu Nanami.

"I was just thinking about some stuff."

Manabe was clinging to my left arm, lightly pulling me towards our destination. On my right arm was Yamashita, who was doing the exact same, a little more eager than the other two.

Since I did not have a third arm for her to latch onto, Yabu was walking alongside dejectedly. I recall her lightly pouting when the other two beat her to it, but accepting it calmly. She seemed like the most mature of the trio.

"Well, you can think later. If we don't hurry, all the seats will be taken! Pallet is very busy, you know?"

Pallet Cafe was located on the first floor of the school building, so it was often crowded. I had been tempted to go there ever since I heard of it.

After rejecting their invitation yesterday, I had promised to visit Pallet with them today. Right now I am fulfilling that promise.

(A/N: The location here is canon, Pallet Cafe being in Keyaki Mall is surprisingly only true in the anime)

"There are so many people here."

After delegating the task of queueing and ordering to Yamashita and Yabu, Manabe stealthily brought me to a table for four at the far end of the café. While we waited for them, Manabe began talking to me.

"Ayanokouji-kun, can I ask you a quick question?"

Her tone seemed a little too serious for a casual conversation.

"Sure."

"So, uh, about Shiina-san. She's not your girlfriend, is she?"

I wondered where she was going with this.

"No, we're just friends."

Manabe let out a sigh of relief and persisted with the questioning, delighted at how single I am.

"And yet you're on a first-name basis?"

"Yes, is that weird?"

"No, it's a normal thing for friends to do. But in that case... can I also call you by your first name?"

This was only our first time hanging out, so I would be hard pressed to define us as friends right now, but wasn't it the same with Hiyori? I didn't have any reason to go against her request. Besides, it's just a name.

Manabe couldn't hide her nervousness, her cheeks were reddening.

Rejecting her advances in this situation would be considered quite cold.