Vol 1 - Chapter 1.1: New School

A/N: Before you read, this isn't a bus scene copy-paste btw

After parting ways with Matsuo, I rode the bus to school, bobbing and shaking in my seat. I looked idly out of the window, watching the scenery change, the bus picked up more and more passengers. Most of them wore school uniforms.

I was fortunate enough to have found a seat, though I couldn't say the same for the elderly woman who stood in front of me, wobbling so badly she would probably fall any second now.

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you offer up your seat."

An office lady spoke up for the poor elder, and she chose to do so by confronting a young, well-built blonde man who was dressed in the same uniform as me.
He was sat in a priority seat, which warranted being asked to offer it to the woman who, undeniably, needed it the most out of the two.

However, this didn't mean the lady's efforts would be of any use.

The blondie was giving off an 'I am the priority' kind of vibe, which led me to believe he would never relinquish his seat as long as he had no legal obligation to do so.

"That's a really crazy question, lady."

It seems my analysis was on point. If he's bold enough to hold on to his seat in this situation it's highly unlikely that he would ever let the old woman have it.

Briefly tuning out the escalating argument, I diverted my attention to the crowd listening in from the sidelines. There were two that stood out to me.

The first was a cute girl with black ribbons tied behind her silver hair, fully immersed in whatever book she was reading. She was the only person who failed to notice the ongoing commotion.

The second was a black-haired girl who also happened to be reading, she likely noticed the commotion as her eyes weren't moving across the pages, but didn't seem to care enough to even look towards to commotion. She just kept reading her book expressionlessly, she came off as quite cold-hearted.

As if sensing my thoughts, she noticed my gaze and glared back at me fiercely. I averted my eyes.

"This poor woman appears to have been suffering for quite some time now. Won't you offer up your seat? While you might consider such courtesy unnecessary, I think it would contribute greatly to society."

Crack! The boy snapped his fingers.

"A contribution to society, you say? Well, that is a rather interesting opinion. It's certainly true that offering up one's seat could be viewed in such a positive light. Unfortunately, I have no interest in contributing to society. I care only for my own satisfaction. Oh, and one more thing. You're asking me, the one in the priority seat, to give up his spot, but couldn't you simply ask one of the other people seated on this crowded bus? If you truly cared for the elderly, then something like priority seating would be a rather trivial concern, wouldn't you agree?"

The blondie really didn't want to lose his seat, he even dragged in the bystanders to keep his spot.

It was intriguing how he questioned the girl's kindness.

"Everyone, please listen to me for just a moment. Won't someone give up their seat for this woman? It doesn't matter who. Please."

After absentmindedly spectating for some time, I decided to put an end to this scene as I rose from my seat and fixed the issue.

"Excuse me, you can have my seat."

I spoke up loudly and clearly, the whole bus heard me. The elderly woman repeatedly thanked me and took my seat. I walked to the front of the bus.