2. Shaurya's secret

"Look how beautiful my daughter looks."

"That I do," Meera gloated with pride as she beamed into the mirror, and approved of her appearance.  Next moment, the mother daughter duo exchanged hugs.

Khushi rolled her eyes and excused herself from the room. After having spent five straight hours preparing food for guests and decorating the house, she had to fake a broad smile to help Meera get ready for her 'haldi'.

"Khushi didi, Happy Birthday," Tiny arms wrapped around Khushi's waist and her face lit with genuine joy. Her seven year old brother did love her more than anybody in this world and she was extremely grateful for him.

"Thank you Gollu," Khushi smiled and then Gollu went outside to play with his friends.

Khushi had a complex relationship with her entire family. Her father hardly talked to her, her mother and Meera didn't even consider her part of the family, but a burden which they had to feed. Her elder sister Dhwani was twenty six, she was as lovely as her name but had her own share of misfortunes. Two years ago she lost her husband in a car accident, after having been married for a year. That incident had left her traumatized and disoriented to this date. She disliked elaborating about it with anybody and preferred to be lost in her own world of thoughts. Regardless she was decent and loving to Khushi, on whatever little occasions they talked.
And then there was Gollu, the sweet chubby kid and the darling of the house.
Khushi also had her tiny orphanage friends, who she considered like her family. She worked there as a music teacher, but to the kids she was like an older sister. They even prepared a cake for her today and arranged a mini-party for her. Everything had been perfect except for that one person who had....

"Namastey Aunty jee"

That voice. Khushi hesitantly looked at the door where a familiar figure stood. It was him, the guy from the orphanage.

"Khushi, come here."

"Yes mother."

At that very moment her gaze collided with his. He had unfathomable almond shaped eyes with the shade of an obsidian, complemented by huge bristly eyebrows. For a moment they sparkled with amusement, before he shifted his gaze to her mother who was welcoming him with open arms. He wore a neat light brown kurta and dark blue jeans. Dishevelled jet black hairs crowded his light-skinned forehead casually, like he had been extremely lazy to brush them. Gifted with well defined cheekbones, concrete jaw and broad shoulders, he exuded authority from his firm stance.

"Khushi, please get me some 'Besan'(Gram Flour) from the nearby shop, Meera needs it for her 'haldi'" her mother requested with unusual sweetness lacing her voice.

"But mother, I haven't even changed...." Khushi sighed looking at her floral kurta which had been smeared with kitchen stains and Meera's make up.

"We don't have time for that, I need the besan now," she stressed and then shifted her gaze to Shaurya.
"Beta(son), tell me when is your cousin coming?"

"Cousin?" Khushi asked puzzled.

"Shaurya here is Veer's cousin, come inside beta, I will show you around."

"A rude arrogant cousin," Khushi murmured.

Shaurya narrowed his eyes at her and Khushi rolled her eyes in return.

As they went inside the house, Khushi fetched herself a rubber band and assembled her long straight hairs that reached her waist, into a messy bun. She stole a look at the mirror. She didn't look dreadful considering the intensity of exhaustion. Nevertheless she quickly applied some kajal to complement her light brown eyes. She wasn't a beauty model or anything, but she had been complemented at times that the optimism and liveliness in her gifted her face a natural glow.

*******

It had been half an hour but Khushi couldn't find a single shop open. "Weird," she murmured to herself. This wasn't surprising either because nothing happened normally in Sadhnapur.

She decided to walk further, hoping for Radheshyam Kaka's(Uncle's) store to be open. Kaka's store was situated pretty much away from the main road, near the Lord Jagannath temple, by the riverside. Tiny raindrops struck her with vengeance, and Khushi dashed across the muddy roads. She knew going home without the 'besan' meant two hours of lecture from her mother and sister regarding how inefficient and useless she was. Thankfully, she found Kaka's store open and quickly got the essentials. She was about to return when her gaze landed on the temple at a distance.
The drizzle continued but Khushi decided to take a quick visit to the Lord Jagannath temple and thank god for whatever she had in life. But her feet came to a sudden halt as she found two figures sitting on the temple stairs. One of them was an old lady who was sobbing vigorously holding on to a young man's kurta.

"I told you not to leave the house, its not safe for you, we are leaving right now," Shaurya commanded.
This guy was everywhere! Wasn't he attending the function back home?

As curiosity gripped her thoughts, Khushi hid behind a nearby tree.

"I don't want to go back, This place gives me peace," The old woman continued to howl in the otherwise empty temple.

"Maasi, nobody can know about us, or our reason of visiting this town, some secrets should stay as such" Shaurya's tone reflected urgency, "Now before anybody sees us here, we have to leave, this is a visibly unsafe place."

Khushi nodded to herself hearing the word "unsafe." It was still broad daylight but the rain had picked up its pace and this was agreeably a deserted place with rare visitors. She also had to hurry back home before her grocery got wet. Folding her hands, she prayed from a distance and left the place as fast as she could.

*******

I hope you liked the chapter. Do tell me if I can improve anywhere:) Your opinion matters a lot. Do vote and comment❤️
~Love RubyRed~