Chapter 9: Drop dead gorgeous

Start from the beginning

"I think we should shave it for the interview," I murmured.

"I'm going to feel like a naked mole rat."

"What if we trimmed it?" the barber suggested. "We don't have to shave it off completely."

I cast him a grateful look. Oliver closed his eyes and sighed.

"The last time I shaved my face was when I was in the military." The tone of his voice had changed. He opened his eyes and there was a look inside of them that I couldn't quite put my finger on. He sighed before saying, "I don't want to trim it."

The barber was about to say something, but I stopped him.

"Alright, we won't force you," I said, hoping it would make him feel better. It was clear there was a deeper reason why he didn't want to shave his hair, and I didn't want him to feel bad. I knew getting a haircut was a already a big step for Oliver.

I didn't realize how rigid his shoulders were until he leaned back into the chair. Was he that nervous? I felt bad for making Oliver cut his hair, but Camilia was right. You had to look your best when going to interviews; Oliver was a celebrity. He may not be an actor or a singer, but he still needed to take care of his reputation. While the barber started on Oliver's hair, I left to book a meeting with the stylist.

Oliver needed new clothes, and we had to buy him a suit and tailor it to his size. I made sure to stop at a nearby donut store. I didn't know which one Oliver would like, so I got all the funkiest flavors I could find: caramel popcorn with sprinkles, maple and bacon, red velvet with pistachio whipped cream, and some other colorful ones. The owner of the donut store was happy I bought so many donuts.

"I've added an extra donut inside," she said when she handed me the box. "We give one for free to every client who buys a box of six."

"Oh, thank you. What flavor is it?" I asked.

"It's a surprise," she winked.

I smiled. What a kind lady. I left her a tip and left the store. The barber told me that they should be finished by three, so I ran some errands before returning to the barbershop. I was surprised to see a handsome man sitting in the chair, getting his hair dried.

He looked like he'd stepped out of a GQ magazine. His dark, copper-colored hair was thick and wavy, and cut shorter on the sides. He had a dangerous, square jaw and beautiful fair skin.

The hazy afternoon light that came through the windows made him look beautiful and dissolute, making him look like a golden deity. A few strands of wet hair fell over his eyes, and the light made them look like streaks of gold. He wasn't completely shaven, which made him look manlier. It wasn't the type of face I was used to. Most guys in the industry were fully shaved and liked to have a younger, cleaner look. This man was rough and sexy.

I tore my eyes away from him and looked around, remembering that I was here for my job.

Where was Oliver? Was he still getting his hair washed?

"Are those donuts?"

My heart froze. No, there was no way...

I slowly turned toward the beautiful man and stared at him blankly. He stared back, his blue eyes looking as bright as a spring lake.

"Oliver?" I stammered.

"Hi."

He was Oliver? Behind all that hair was a gorgeous man?! I stared at him, still not believing my eyes.

"You brought donuts?" His blue eyes were glued to the box. Yup, that was definitely him. The barber removed the cape. I was a hundred percent sure it was Oliver when I saw his cartoon T-shirt.