I never said I'd lie and wait forever

The swing music carried me as Michael's hands caressed my waist, swirling me on my heals out and apart from him. I laughed hysterically, being twirled back into him as he dipped me.

A girl couldn't ask for more! Well, of course there was the fact I wouldn't be seeing him for... quiet some time. It was a tribulation I could get through, though. Michael tilted his glasses up onto the bridge of his nose. He didn't smile. It was false, and idealistic smile. An expected smile.

He thought he wasn't coming home, I just knew it! Yet would he say it out loud? Of course not!

Mikey held the back of my head, "I have to leave, honey..." He whispered, "the van'll be leaving soon."

I could feel the tears brimming at my eyes and closed them tightly, touching our foreheads together as tears fell and I bit down on my lip to cease the sobs from escaping.

"Okay... Come home soon?"

His face fell, "I can't promise that--"

"Yes you can. You have to!" I cried.

"I'm not gonna... I'm not coming home..." He said and walked away.

That was the last time I saw him. I was widowed after 3 months of him serving in the war. Gerard said he died an honorable death but there is no such this as something so absurd. Everyone dies scared. No honor in that.

I guess he was right, he never did come home...