Chapter 20: The Court of Wolves

I'm sitting in the courtroom, surrounded by countless faces. My pack and the Southern pack are all present. Having just been dragged out of the dungeon, I can't bring myself to meet the gaze of anyone I care about. The humiliation of this public ordeal is overwhelming. I'm painfully aware of my disheveled appearance: matted hair, grimy skin, and the stench of dried blood. Scratches and bruises mar my face and body, the work of fellow inmates. I sense Aiden's intense stare and spare him a brief look. His gaze fixates on my neck, and the shock on his face is deeply satisfying. I smirk victoriously. Meeting his eyes, I see the anger and frustration. In a petty gesture, I lift my middle finger subtly to my nose, pretending to itch. Childish? Definitely. But he deserves every bit of it.

My Alpha moves to the front of the courtroom, joining the four other Alphas who have traveled for this hearing. Whenever an Alpha is implicated in a case, all Alphas must be present.
"Lauren Cia-Villa, daughter of Lilian and Ryan Cia-Villa of the Northern pack, you stand accused of infidelity to your mate, Alpha Aiden of the Southern pack. If proven innocent, you will be set free. If found guilty, your fate will be a life in the dungeon or death," Alpha Adam declares, commencing the trial.
"Lauren, images were sent to Alpha Aiden, showing you apparently embracing Thunder Gamma of the Northern pack. Another image depicts what appears to be an intimate kiss. The first image was taken on Tuesday the 12th, and the second on the following day. Explain," instructs Alpha Adam.
"Tuesday the 12th was Bethany's birthday. She had just found her mate, Storm. We're all friends, and upon hearing the news, I hugged Storm in celebration. Storm and Thunder are brothers and look alike. In that photo, I was hugging Storm, not Thunder," I clarify.
"And the second image?" my Alpha prompts.
"The second photo is underlit, displaying a male resembling Storm and a female with a build similar to mine. The woman's face isn't visible, so assuming it's me is unreasonable," I counter.
"Who do you believe is the woman in the image?" Alpha Adam probes.
"His mate, Bethany," I reply.
"Bethany, come forward," Alpha Adam commands.
Observing the image on the screen, he inquires, "Do you recognize this?"
She trembles, "Yes, it was taken a day after Storm and I realized we're mates. It's us sharing a playful kiss."
"And you're the female in the picture?" He continues.
"Yes," Bethany affirms.
"Why should we not assume you're covering for your friend?" Alpha Adam interrogates.
Bethany points out, "Thunder is taller than Storm. I'm taller than Lauren. If the photo were of Thunder and Lauren, her head wouldn't align with his shoulder."
"Thank you, Bethany. You may sit," Alpha Adam concludes.
He then instructs, "Thunder and Storm, come to the front. Lauren, join them."
Shaking slightly, I walk to the front, positioning myself between the brothers. The significant height difference is evident.
Alpha Adam asserts, "Clearly, the image could not depict Thunder and Lauren. Is there any further information or evidence to present?"
Vivian, with a confident gait, steps forward. "Yes, I saw them kissing in the woods," she lies

Vivian moved with the confidence of a model on a runway, her unique scent of ice and tree sap wafting around her. "I saw them, you know. Kissing in the woods," she declared with a tone of deceit.

This spiteful witch. She's only trying to rattle me because she wants Aiden. But she can have him. I just want my freedom. I threw a venomous glance his way. If not for his looks, everyone would've seen through him by now.

Alpha Adam, his voice stern and probing, asked, "Vivian, when did this happen? And was anyone with you at the time?"

"I was alone. It was Thursday, around noon. She wasn't around, so I thought I'd check on her. Imagine my shock when I found them in the woods," she replied with feigned concern. "I didn't mention it to the Alpha; I didn't want to cause him pain."

"Do Lauren and Thunder wish to respond?

For the first time in weeks, Aiden's voice rang out. "Lauren was with me that day. She spent it with her mother and me. There's no way she was with Thunder."

Vivian hesitated. "Maybe it was in the morning then."

"She was with me the entire day," Aiden reiterated.

Alpha Adam's voice rose, "Vivian, are you lying to this court?"

"She's the guilty one!" Vivian spat, pointing accusingly at me. "She's a manipulative liar."

I glanced around theatrically, as if asking, 'Who? Me?' Genuinely confused.

"She's bewitched him," Vivian continued, her voice rising with desperation. "She's taken my mate. I've seen her flirt endlessly with the Gamma.

The room descended into a tense silence. They're mates? I always assumed Tiffany was behind the pictures.

Aiden, his gaze unwavering, said, "We are not mates, Vivian,  I'd prefer a cow shifter over a bitch like you who has a taste for human men."

Her voice breaking, Vivian responded, "That was before I found out we are mates. You can't fault me for my past."

Aiden scoffed, "Why would I ever want someone like you? You can't even keep those humans interested."

Watching the two of them, I felt like an outsider to my own trial.

Alpha Adam intervened, "Alpha Aiden, we've discovered some unsettling information about you. We need some answers. Step forward."

Aiden rose, his posture exuding confidence.
"Is Lauren truly your mate?" asked Alpha Adam.

"Yes," came Aiden's immediate reply.

"And did you use magic on her?"

"I would never," Aiden said, but there was a flicker of doubt in his eyes.

"Have you ever hurt her?"

"No one would dare harm her," Aiden retorted.
Alpha Adam's gaze was unwavering. "We'll need more than your word, Aiden. We're administering a truth serum."

They tied him to the chair and waited for the drug to take effect. "Aiden, is Lauren your mate?" Alpha Adam repeated.

His face reddened, but eventually he answered, "I've chosen her as a mate."

"Have you used magic on her to create a pull towards you?"

"Yes, but only so she would see how good we could be together," Aiden admitted.

"What did you aim to do with the magic you used on her?"

"To obliterate her original mate bond and recreate one with me. I'm the mate she deserves; she should be with me."

"Have you hurt her physically?"

"Yes, but only to teach her how to behave. I did it because she's mine to love and teach."

"The Alphas will now deliberate," Alpha Adam announced.

"Lauren," Aiden called out to me. "I love you! You have to believe me. Vivian can never compare to you. I love you; help me."

I was processing everything and chose not to respond.

"You're a fucking bitch, you know that?" he shouted.

I sat in that chair for what felt like an eternity. My heart raced, and I felt powerless. All I could do was sit.

The Alphas reentered, each more slowly than the last.

The Alphas retreated to deliberate. Aiden's desperate cries echoed, but I remained numb, processing the revelations.
When the Alphas returned, their judgment was swift and final, turning the court into a whirlwind of emotions.