Chapter 12: Scent of Possession

I'm so engrossed in my thoughts that I barely register Aidan's presence in the hallway until he calls out.

"You smell different. There's a masculine scent on you that's not your little beta or enforce friend." Little. I almost laugh out loud. I don't think anyone could call Eric little he's a big guy almost as big as Aidan.

"I just finished pack training and didn't get a chance to shower," I clarify. "We practiced hand-to-hand combat, that's probably the change in scent."

His expression remains stoic, eyes so dark they border on black. He walks to the rear of his office and presses against the bookshelf. Surprisingly, it swings open like something out of a fantasy. He tilts his head slightly, "Shower now," he commands. His tone is so deep and forceful, I feel its vibrations in the room.

I step into the en suite. Its masculine aesthetics clearly mirror Aidan's personality. With walls adorned in gray marble tiles, a spacious tub, and a walk-in shower, it's evident that no expense was spared. The intriguing mix of blueberry and mystery fills the air. Closing my eyes, I relish the aroma. Honestly, I could easily spend hours in here.

Turning back to Aidan, I remark, "This is beautiful. I'll be quick."

Take your time, just don't come out smelling like another male." he replies.He exits, ensuring the door clicks shut behind him.

The cascading water from the modern, square showerhead is so soothing that I involuntarily let out a sigh of relief, shutting my eyes. I reach for his distinctly masculine body wash, ensuring I lather every inch of myself. Drying off with his plush towel, a realization hits me: if I wear my original clothes, I'd retain the prior scent.

I decide to rummage through his drawers hoping he wouldn't mind. I come across a plain white shirt and a pair of boxers. After putting on my own underwear, I pull on his shirt and the boxers, which sit comfortably just above my knees – neither too tight nor too slack. They oddly resemble running shorts on me. A glance in the mirror triggers second thoughts. I should never have intruded into his personal space, let alone on his invitation. And wearing his clothes? What was I thinking?
A battle ensues between mind and body. I attempt to revert to my own clothes, but it's as if my body resists. After a futile struggle, I admit defeat, opting for his clothes. Swiftly, I tie my hair into a high ponytail, inhale deeply, and exit the bathroom.

When Aidans gaze lands on me, a smirk forms. He rises, using his towering presence to encircle me. "Much better, darling," he murmurs seductively. As he leans in, I can feel the warmth of his breath near my ear and catch a whiff of his heightened desire. "How long until you grant me skin privileges?" he whispers.

Closing my eyes, I attempt to master my racing thoughts. Every fiber of my being seems to want to yield to his desires. Without touching me, his fingers trace a path along my collarbone, amplifying the tension. "I, I'm not ready," I manage to murmur. If I grant him to maintain some form of control. If I give him skin privileges I'll be in his lap in seconds and I can't have that. I have to maintains some sort of control.

"I'll be patient, darling. Though deep down, I believe we both know that you're already mine." With him so near, an involuntary whimper escapes my lips. His face lights up with a smug satisfaction upon hearing it. He leisurely reclines in his chair, and it takes me a moment to gather my composure before I manage to do the same.

When I attempt to brief him on updates regarding his pack members, he halts me with a raised hand.

"In this moment I don't care," he grumbles. I cast my eyes downward.

"Lauren, look at me. What I'm about to say is important and I need to see your face."

I hesitantly meet his gaze, uncertainty clouding my eyes.

"Please don't ever come in here again smelling like another man. At this point, I don't know if I can even handle catching the scent of the beta or enforcer on you. I know you are all friends. I know what kind of woman you are. But I also know what kind of man I am. I have a feeling you're my mate. In two weeks we will find out for sure. But I'm on the brink here so if you want their pretty little heads to stay on their bodies, don't come in here smelling like anyone or anything male."

You smell like maple all the time," I retort.

"What?" He responds with a surprised chuckle.

"You often smell like maple. I'm not a pancake and I certainly don't smell that way. Please, don't come around me smelling like maples.Everything should be a two-way street," I assert.

He hums in amusement. "Jealousy looks good on you, darling."

"No," I reply with conviction. "Don't misunderstand. I'm not jealous. Jealousy is a toxic emotion that adds no value. Right now, neither of us has any claim over the other. But out of respect for you and the potential of us being mates, I won't approach you smelling like anyone but myself. I expect the same respect in return. If you demand something from me, then you have to give me something in return." As I finish my statement, a newfound clarity seems to clear the fog in my mind.

The room feels heavy with tension. The atmosphere thickens with his scent, as if he's trying to mark his territory without laying a hand on me. As if he believes he owns me. Part of me fears he might. I need to get out, inform someone, before I lose the bit of control I've reclaimed. I swiftly update him about the pack and head directly to Luna Nora's office.

...........................................................................
Luna Nora regards me, her face etched with confusion. "Lauren," she begins gently, "this might simply be the mating bond. Perhaps you're struggling to understand it due to your age."

"No, it's different. It feels like I can't resist him. There's this overpowering urge to please him. Whenever I have brief moments of clarity, I have to fight with all I have to retain them," I voice out, desperation evident.

She exhales deeply, "Wait for your birthday and see what unfolds."

Although I disagree, I nod in response. Once home, I grab an empty scrapbook and start jotting down my thoughts. I recount the initial attraction when I first saw Aidan, detailing every interaction up to the most recent.  Then I run deep into the forest, stashing the book in a small cave, a cherished childhood hideout.