Chapter 15: Breaking Points

Dear Reader - this chapter contains physical abuse. If this is a trigger for you I apologise and ask that you please skip this chapter. Thank you.

I walk into Aidan's pack house, mentally preparing for the charade I'm about to play out. Just as I'm about to open the door, it swings open. Aidan suddenly sweeps me off my feet, spinning me around. A spontaneous giggle escapes my lips. "Part of the show, touching is part of the show," I chant internally.

For half the day, I accompany Aidan around the pack, engaging in conversations. He seems intent on ensuring everyone knows our 'exciting' news. "We're mates! Woohoo!" The charm of the announcement wears thin rather quickly.

"What do you say we head back to the pack house? We can eat in my office while I get my work done?" Aidan suggests.

I'm drained and hungry. Nonetheless, I force a broad smile and respond, "Good idea." We pick up some food on our way to the office, I arrange a dinning setup.

"Be a doll and get me something to drink, will you?" he asks.

Returning with a cold drink, "I know I ordered the burger, but I sort of changed my mind. Can I swap you for the pasta?"

He hesitates but finally grunts in agreement. As I sample the food, I detect no hint of honeysuckle. "So good! Thank you," I exclaim after a mouthful.

"Could you try and be classier?" he snaps.
I nod, staying silent. The last thing I want is to provoke him further, the man's deranged as it is.

Without warning, he grips my wrist, "Don't sulk! It's beneath you." As he releases me, a sickening sound and a sharp pain emanate from my wrist. The gravity of the situation becomes clear, and tears start to flow. "I just didn't want to upset you further. I was being quiet so you wouldn't be uncomfortable," I manage to say between sobs.

Drawing me close, he murmurs apologies while gently caressing my hair. After a few minutes, he produces a first aid kit and tends to my injured wrist. "It's a sprain. It should heal by tomorrow,".

"I'm going to get going home," I state, my voice noticeably flat. "I'm working with my pack's schools tomorrow, so I won't be in."

"Lauren, no one needs to know about how you hurt your wrist, okay?"

Meeting his gaze fiercely, I reply, "Don't worry. I'll make sure not to tell anyone what you did."

Without another word, I leave.

Upon arriving home, I dive into my mother's embrace. She doesn't sense my distress until she sees my tears. Once I've composed myself, I recount the day's events, detailing his outburst, the assault, and his denial.
To my surprise, my mother offers an unexpected perspective. "He's an Alpha, Lauren; they run hot. I know that you being indecisive wasn't an issue to you, but he wants a luna strong enough to stand with him. He acted wrongly, but I'm sure he will calm down once you're mated. Don't worry, my sweet girl; every relationship has its rocky moments."

Rocky, yes. Abusive, no. I hug my mother one last time before retreating to my room. I need space to think, away from everyone.