Chapter 16: Unspoken Secrets Under the Full Moon

I haven't spoken to Aiden in two days. In that time, I haven't figured out a thing. I've been trying to track down a witch to learn more about the potions he's been using on me and how to reverse them, but with no luck. Finding creatures that are largely reviled is challenging.

But I told myself I won't dwell on this today. It's Bethany's birthday, and I want to cherish it. I rush to her house, knock eagerly on her door, and give Mrs. Delavaga a big hug when she answers.

"You weren't this happy on your birthday," Eric commented.

For a brief moment, my smile falters, but I force it back. Today isn't about me, and I won't let it be. I want to be better than that.

"I think we should say a quick prayer for Bethany, that she'll be with someone who treats her well," I suggest.

"Good idea!" Mrs. Delavaga agrees.

"You're turning into our moms already, Lauren. Must be mated life, huh?" he says with a sigh, then walks off. I can tell he's frustrated. I mentally remind myself to check on him later. After saying a quick prayer for Bethany, I head to her room and knock. She shouts for me to come in, and when I do, it's chaos. Clothes, hair tools, and products are scattered everywhere.

Happy birthday, beautiful!"

"Don't 'happy birthday' me, come and help me with my hair!" She squeals.

Soon enough, we're all standing outside, counting down the seconds. She's gripping my hand so tightly I think it might turn blue. Suddenly, she takes off like a bat out of hell. Her family and I cheer in excitement, then head back inside to await her return.

Being pushy isn't my style, but sometimes people need a listening ear. I join Eric, who's sitting on one of the kitchen stools. I stay silent, just sitting beside him.

"Don't pull that shit on me, Lauren," he snaps.

"I haven't done anything, Eric," I respond.

"You're doing that 'I'm an empath, let me heal you' thing you do with everyone! Have you ever thought that you don't have all the answers, oh powerful one?" he grumbles.

"I'm just doing the 'I'm your friend and I'm here for you' thing. And right now, I don't even know what's for dinner. Should I order pizza for us?" I ask, half-jokingly.I mean a full stomach does make everyone happier.

He runs a hand through his hair. "I'll order us all the pizzas," he replies.

After placing the order, his demeanor softens. He glances at me, then away, then back at me. "I'm sorry," he murmurs, "I'm just...upset and confused."

"About what?" I ask gently.

"I... just stuff, okay?" he says, but as he starts to elaborate, a knock interrupts him. I assume it's the pizza delivery, so I let him answer.

However, the sound of laughter catches my attention. Curious, I head in its direction, only to freeze when I see Thunder, looking intently at me, standing next to Bethany.

A sinking feeling takes over, and I'm paralyzed, rooted to the spot. He's not my mate. Why am I feeling like this? I chant in my head, trying to regain composure.

"Lauren!" Bethany squeals, bouncing with joy.

"It's Storm! Storm's my mate!"

Wait, what?

I glance over to see Storm and Eric, locked in a heartfelt embrace, both grinning from ear to ear. As they pull apart, Storm stretches out his arms, silently beckoning me over. I quickly hug him, but Bethany tugs at my arm after just a moment. "No more than a second; he's my mate!" She says passively. I can't contain my happiness for her and burst out laughing, pulling her into a hug.

I lift my gaze to the full moon and take a deep breath of the crisp night air. The stars twinkle back, and I wish this night, filled with good news, pizza, and great company, would never end.I'm Brough back to reality when I hear a throat being cleared, and when I turn, there's Thunder, waiting.

"Lauren," he says.

"Thunder," I reply.

"It's good to see you," he mentions.

"Honestly, it's good to see you too," I admit.

"In spring, when I go for a run and see the ripening fruit, I always think of you," he sighs.

I chuckle, thinking back to those shared memories. "Wait, hold my fruit bucket!" I playfully imitate my younger self.

"Just five more minutes!" he plays along.

"Don't worry, I'll bake you a pie," I laugh.

"Do you still make pies and jams come fruit season?"

"Of course, I always give some to Storm for your family."

He raises an eyebrow. "Do you really think he shares?"

"If I can, I'll bake you a pie this year."

"If I have a choice, cherry please. But I'll take whatever you make," his grin is infectious.

"Cherries it is, but you're pitting them," I tease.

"If it means getting a pie, I'll help you pick and pit the cherries," he says with a grin. But then, his tone changes. "Lauren, I've noticed something's not right. If you need to talk, you can always come to me."

Look Lauren" he continues his joking tone gone " I wanted to make sure you're ok. You seem off lately, there's something that isn't quiet right with you. I want you to know, that whatever it is, you can come to me."

My body goes still as a statue. I open my mouth and close it again. I mean, what do I say? Hey now that you mention it I'm in this crazy situation and once I tell you, you'll either think I'm being dramatic or if you don't you could get seriously hurt trying to help be because I don't really know what I'm
Up against?

" I know that I have my pence to pay but I want you to know I never stoped caring about you. I know you found your mate I'm not trying to hit on you but you need to know, even though I stoped talking to you I always cared. I know that you graduated top of class with an empath degree. I actually went to your graduation and blended into the crowed" he laughed out " I know you had a high temperature that lasted a week last year, it scared the life out of me. In all the years I've known you I've never known you to be clumsy you can run through the forest with your eyes closed without getting a scratch on you. But you had a sprained wrist recently and you've been more quiet, more withdrawn your giving out fake smiles like candy. Whatever it is, you can come to me".  He says

" thank you for thinking of me but really I'm ok. I'm going to say goodbye to everyone." I continue. " good night Thunder" I say as I walk away. Anyone but him if anyone else had asked me I would have told them but I was too ashamed to tell him what a mess my life is.