Chapter 2: Shifting Allegiances

I tilt my neck to the side, savoring the soft crack, and repeat the movement on the opposite side. As I brace myself for the upcoming mandatory training, the hierarchy of shifters comes to mind. Regardless of lineage, dominance decides their role: Alphas, Betas, Gammas, and Enforcers. One from each in a pack, uniquely dominant in their generation.
There are also healers like nurses and doctors; carers including cooks and council members; empaths, agriculturists, and so on. Each generation sees a fluctuation in their numbers. Yet every pack member must endure defense training yearly.

The Alpha ascends to the podium, ensuring his authority permeates the crowd. "Welcome," he announces. "Our strength as a pack depends on each of you maximizing your potential. Train hard. Work hard." As he departs, applause follows.

I move toward my usual comrades but am intercepted by Enforcer Storm. His tight-lipped smile betrays discomfort. "Lauren, there's been a change. You're training with my brother now."

I cast a glance at the Gamma. My heart races. He resembles his brother but is rougher around the edges, devoid of the warmth or the dimple. His indifferent gaze meets mine, and a pang of sorrow strikes me. We were close once.

Turning to Storm, I ask, "Can I join your training group instead?"

"Sorry Lor, it has to be him."

"Who complained?"

He's firm. "You know I can't say. Don't keep your new group waiting."

I stride towards the Gamma's group, his intense gaze never leaving mine. A fire rages in his eyes; I'm in for a challenging session.
"Everyone, we've a new member. Lauren, tardiness isn't tolerated here.In my group, no questioning. Just action. You won't get any favoritism here. So don't expect it.
I nod, waving to the group in greeting.

"Obstacle course. Five sets. Go," commands Thunder.

I dive into the course — scaling walls, slipping under nets, pushing through sand, weaving between looming branches. I feel alive. But just as the finish line is within reach, Thunder's stern voice stops me. "Lauren, start again."

"Why?" I snap, frustration flaring.

He stands over me, his displeasure evident. "Either do it right or prepare for laps."

His piercing eyes never leave mine throughout the session. When it finally ends, I'm overwhelmed with relief. As I make my exit, his voice echoes, "Lauren."

"In training, my word is law," he states coldly. "You might be skilled, but today, you lacked focus. I pushed you for a reason. You can be better."

The hurt is evident in my voice. "What changed between us? We used to be...close."

He hesitates briefly. "That's in the past. I'm Gamma; you're a pack member. That's our reality now."

Disappointed, I leave. As soon as the door closes behind me I look up and see that Bethany has been waiting on me "Why the group change?" She asks.

"Somebody felt Eric was being too soft on me," I admit.

Bethany smirks. "He does have a soft spot for you."

"He's protective because of our friendship," I explain. "Seen Storm lately?" I say attempting to change the subject.

Bethany's gaze wanders. She blushes. "I wish he'd see me as more than a kid sister."

"I don't think he sees you that way" I reassure her. "Let's celebrate the first day of pack training being over." I say.
By "celebrate", I mean movies and junk food, of course. With linked arms, we head to our cars, the day's challenges behind us.