"What will she say about the marriage?" asked Jodha concerned.

"It is a decision of the emperor for the good of the Mughal Sultanate and Amer! She won't dare interfere!" he replied grimly. "She has already done enough damage!"

His words made her feel that the marriage was nothing but a political liaison. She swallowed hard and withdrew her hand from him. A marital union with a Mughal! She would live in his harem with his other wives and concubines. His reputation for getting any woman he wanted was well known. Was Maham Anga right? Did he dump her as soon as he got what he wanted? Was she just another conquest for him after all? What about the rings? That invisible bond that seemed to bind them. But was it true? What was she doing here behind her parents' backs? This had already got her into trouble in Agra! Why was she so attracted to this man? She tightened and took a deep breath. She was Rajkumari Jodha Bai of Amer and she was doing it for her motherland! For the welfare and safety of its people!

"Shahenshah! We have to leave now!" she said firmly and stood up resolutely. Jalal rose as well. He saw a shadow settle on her face. Why did she suddenly want to leave? What had changed her mood?

"Can't we persuade you to keep us company a little longer?" he asked, confused.

"Please let us go! It's getting late. We will already be missed." She turned to go.

"Wait!" In one bound, Jalal was with her and grabbed her gentle by her shoulders. Surprised, she paused. Their eyes met. He sank into the depths of her doe like hazel eyes and they lost themselves in each other. Sparks again began to fly as he touched her. His lips gently touched her forehead. Immediately she felt the tingle in her belly again and she blushed heavily.

"Shab bakhair, registan ka gulab!" he said with hoarse voice. She undid herself and ran away.

Jalal looked after her and smiled.

_____________________________________________________________

"Jodha, where have you been?" asked Moti anxiously. "I was worried about you!"

"I am back now. No need to worry Moti!" She smiled.

"No need..." Moti broke off and looked at her suspiciously. "You've been seeing him!"

Jodha blushed and lowered her eyes in embarrassment. She began to take off her jewellery. Dreamily, her fingers touched her forehead where Jalal's lips had touched them. Closing her eyes, she could still feel his soft lips on her forehead. Moti stepped up beside her.

"How can you!"

"Moti, I met him to give him an explanation why I was so harsh with him at Harichandra ji. And I told him about my dream." The blush on her cheeks deepened. "He knows now that my memories have come back."

"Accha! And that's why you had to meet with him? Your father agreed to the marital union with him. You could have written to him or spoken to him after the wedding! No need for a secret meeting! You know what came out of it in Agra! What if someone had seen you?"

"Moti! You're a bit naughty much lately!" she retorted angrily. "While we're at it, what about Fadhil Khan?" she deflected, looking challengingly at Moti.

"With Fadhil Khan?"

"Don't act so innocent! Do you think I've missed the looks you've been giving him?"

"Umm ... what do you mean?" Moti squirmed in embarrassment.

"Don't deflect! So you do like him! I bet you use that comb he gave you every day and think it's his fingers running through your hair!" she smirked naughtily.