Chapter 7

Again they were observed. Padmavati had seen it all. Horrified, she rushed to Raja Bharmal to report to him. When the siblings returned to the camp, all four were called to the Raja. The Raja and his three wives looked angrily at them.

"What did you do, Jodha?" How could you? How could you get carried away into a race?" hurled Padmavati at her.
"Our reputation is ruined". Was that the young emperor you competed with? And you three, how could you let that happen?"

The three brothers stood there, embarrassed. They knew, they couldn't have stopped their sister.

"They couldn't have stopped me," Jodha said defiantly.

"Nobody challenges me. I had to accept that. It wasn't planned that the turban would come off and I be recognized," she said guiltily.
"But nothing happened and he admired my riding skills." She said nothing more.

Bharmal shouted grimly "As long as we are here, you will no longer ride and stay with the women in the camp."

"But Bapusa..."

"No objection, it's enough. Let's hope that has no consequences. And now I don't want to see you anymore. Go away, all four! "

Kinked, Jodha went into her tent. No more riding. She couldn't believe it. After Champavati had ranted her in her tent too, she was alone. She sat on her bed and thought about the conversation with Jalal. How he had looked at her piercingly with his dark eyes! The same dark eyes she had seen in her dreams that night. And their conversation had been very pleasant. Not a trace of cruelty or arrogance. She called after Moti. She had to discuss that with Moti.

Din Panah

"Rajkumari Jodha Bai" he murmured deep in thoughts. Now he knew her name. Jalal was impressed, from her beautiful face, her brown deer eyes. He couldn't defeat her. For him, for whom only victory counted, it was difficult to digest. But he admired her riding skills. She could do archery, liked horses and pigeons. Not a tone of jewelry or clothes, not a bit affected. He decided to go out for a ride with Abdul again the next morning.

In the evening

Bairam Khan sat on a diwan in his chambers. Thoughtfully he took a sip of sharbat. Again he pondered how Jalal could dare simply leave the room at a gathering. And his behavior when he spoke to him about it! How could he! Was Maham Anga right? Was he losing control about the lad? the situation was too uncertain to be inattentive now. He had to get some fresh air. He walked slowly through the torch-lit courtyard. Maham Anga met him on his way.

"Shaam bakhair vazir-e-ala" she greeted him with a sneering undertone. "Shaam bakhair Maham Anga" he replied and cursed her in silence!

"Are you restless because your protégé has developed a mind of its own?" she put her finger in his wound.

"You don't need to hope that I will lose my influence. These are just a boy's nonsense."

"Hope, you're right" replied Maham Anga with a mocking smile. "Perhaps he will listen to his foster mother rather than his despotic, power-hungry educator."

Bairam Khan was seething with rage! How dare this woman speak to him like that. He was the ataliq of the Padshah! Without him he never couldn't consolidate his position!

"After the next war campaign, we will talk to each other, who will be of greater use to him. Do not believe that you over him will gain power for your son". The mocking grin on Maham Anga's face faded.

"Beware your tongue Vazir," she replied with a contorted face and rushed off.

"I have to be more strict with him and keep an eye on him more." With these thoughts he went back to his chambers. Both vied for favor and greater influence over the young ruler for the sake of their own position. The battle was on, the blades sharpened!

Next day

As the day before, early in the morning Jalal rode with Abdul to the Rajput camp. Unnoticed and independent of each other , two pair of eyes carefully watched the departure and secretly took up the chase.

No sign of the princess. Jalal was disappointed. On the way they met the three princes who were leaving the camp.

"Aadab" greeted Jalal

"Shubh prabhaat, pranaam Shahenshah the siblings greeted back. After an exchange of courtesies, Jalal asked about the princess. The brothers looked at each other and didn't know what to say.

"Have you lost the language? Where is Rajkumari Jodha Bai? " Jalal asked angry again.

"Yes well, mhhh, she is no longer allowed to ride with us" said Jaggnath Singh.

"Why?"

"We were seen yesterday when you both did the race. Jodha is no longer allowed to leave the camp."

Jalal was disappointed. But he don't show it.

"So let's ride on together," replied Jalal.

Jodha watches her brothers, Jalal and Abdul, from a distance. She was sad that she wasn't allowed to ride with them. She watched after them longingly. She would have loved to talk to the young ruler again.

"Jodha, where are you staring at again? Come on!" Champavati's voice tore her from her thoughts. "I'm coming maasa" she called, sighed and ran to her mother to help her with her duties.

Din Panah

Jalal paced restlessly in his room.

"You drive me crazy with your running back and forth. Sit down and let's play a game of chess," said Abdul annoyed. "What's wrong with you?"

"I can't get Jodha Bai out of my head. Now she's not allowed to leave the camp because of me. I would have liked to talk to her more."

"What? The Jalal who is fleeing from the girls wants to talk to one voluntarily?" said Abdul mockingly and laughed. "Forget it, Jalal. She has to stay in the camp. You don't have a chance."

"Mhhh, you are probably right, Abdul."

He sat down and they began to play chess. Jalal's thoughts only revolved around how he could contact the princess.

"Abdul, I got it"!

"What?"

"You have to help me!"

"With what"?

"You must write a letter to Jodha Bai for me and take it secretly to her maid. I'm sure you will manage to deliver the letter."

"You are crazy"! Abdul shook his head in disbelieve.

"It will work! Come on! Quickly get paper and quill!"

Precap

„White like your mare, my dress swings me in the air

Heaven is blue, I'm coming from you

I anything can say, after my way"